Large Advent Utility

I Picked These Up for $50 Today

Merrylander,

These are the LAU's with the vinyl walnut covering. At some point the vinyl walnut was painted -- not stripped. They did not paint the bottoms.

The covering is pretty ratty. Did you remove the vinyl walnut covering before you veneered them? If so how -- heat gun? If not, how did you prep them before veneering?

I will try to post pictures.

Rob:

Do you recall the details (manufacturer, style) of the fabric you used as the grill cloth? I have a pair of LAU that need new grills.

Unfortunately I must have chucked the invoice and it was quite some time back when I got my first set of steel basket Advents. I had to buy a yard of the stuff and that was more than enough for four speakers, so I used it on the LAUs. What I did with the four Original Advents was to get some burlap at JoAnn's fabric shop, it is close in appearance to the stuff Advent used and does not seem to affect the sound as the weave is quite open. I also got some very fine black material (forget the name) in case I had to replace the undercoat material. I have heard some people claim that this thin black material has some effect on the sound, personally I think it was only there to give a uniform appearance to the grills, else there would have been round black holes where the drivers are.

Yes I did strip the vinyl with a heat gun, tedious job but I don't think veneer would stick to the vinyl, wood veneer that is. If you were thinking of using the PE vinyl then all you need to do is clean off the old surface with mineral spirits (Varsol) and fill in any dings or broken corners.

When you remove the drivers, the red + on the tweeter is the positive side, you will need a sharpie to mark the woofer as they usually are not marked.

Rob

This is what stacked Advents look like. The funny reflection across the bottom of the CR-820 faceplate is some diamond auto stripping I put on to cover the idiot's license number.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom