Large Advent vs. KLH Six

Should I keep the Advents or the KLH Sixs?

• Large Advent

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • KLH Six

Votes: 61 53.5%

• Total voters

Fast_Eddie

Upper-middle fi
I have a pair of each and one will have to go. The Advents are waiting for foam, so I can't a/b them right now. The KLHs just got the proper tweeters in today and I'm enjoying them quite a bit.

They'll be driven by a Marantz 2230 and have the company of a Unity Audio sub driven by a Dayton plate amp.

So what do you think? Which would you keep?

Takec care,

Ed

I think it's kind of hard to place judgment when you have no comparison to work with. YOUR ears need to be the ones that decide. So far, it seems like an unfair comparison. Kind of like saying, should I buy the Mustang with the motor or the Camaro without one? Just my $.02 of course. :smoke:

Who cares if it's rare...it's about the sound, right? :thmbsp: Why can't you keep 'em both? I've gotten rid of quite a few rare speakers because they sounded like crap...to me, anyway.

i'd sell the KLH and get another pair of advents and put them on top of the original pair. :tresbon: Then sit back and enjoy the wall of sound.

They are both terrific (to me) and I could live very happily with either. That said, the KLH 6's smooooth midrange is the tie-breaker for me. And it is a tie-breaker.

The 6 would be my choice though I have the Advents. Advents were built to provide the best at a price point and built to a budget. The 6s like most of the KLHs were built to tailer existing parts to different price points. 1 advantage in using existing parts bin parts is that sometimes the result exceeds expectations and cost is amortized over greater production. The Advent has 1 of the highest production numbers of all speakers at least through its production life but I'd bet that more woofers and tweeters used in the 6s were produced as they were used in other models.

For sound, I am a sucker for midrange and the Advent's weakspot is there.

The KLH 6's could use a new 8 mf cap in each one, I'd go with solon.These speakers where all hand made and inspected,when H.Kloss went to Advent he made speakers only to fund a new project his front projection tv the advent 1000 the first one of it's kind he also invented the kloss color canons and held the paton on this new idea.His main focas had left speakers by that time ,not that Advents are a bad sounding speaker but the old modle six and a small tube amp + a good glass of shiraz = HAPPY MAN!!

Man, this is close. Intresting that most of the comments lean to the six, but the actual vote is quite close!

It's close.

I voted for the KLH 6s because they are rarer (and perhaps built a little bit better). I think the sound is very comparable between them, but...

...is the terminal plate recessed on the back of your 6s? If it's flush-mounted, then the woofer is epoxied in ("Sealed for Life!"), and therefore, refreshing the caps in the XO is, ummm, problematic (doable, but no thanks).

If the question is about sound the Advent wins. Top end is way more extended without a trace of harshness. Bass is tighter and far more extended. Power handling ability is far superior and overall smoothness is far superior including the midrange. The KLH 6 is a nice sounding nostalgic design but, the Advent Loudspeaker is a world class 2 way, outclassed by few speakers at any price. It is the summation of everything that Henry Kloss learned about loudspeaker design over his lifetime, a masterpiece.

I bought a pair of 6's new in 1974. I still have them in a daughter's bedroom. I have a pair of the New Advent Loudspeaker in the other daughter's bedroom. If I had to get rid of one it would be the Advent.

I don't understand the "rarer" comment applied to the 6. It was manufactured from what, 57 or 58 through 1975?

I don't understand the "rarer" comment applied to the 6. It was manufactured from what, 57 or 58 through 1975?

Rarer was the wrong word. Less common would be better. I wouldn't be surprised if the OLA outsold the entire production run of the KLH 6 within two years. They were moving those things by the pallet-full through all the stores I knew that sold 'em.

Back
Top Bottom