Large Can Capacitor For McIntosh MC 2105

Ditzel1200

Hello, this is my actual first form post ever. I’m running around in circles trying to figure out the exact replacement for the two large GE screw capacitors on the McIntosh MC 2105 and or 2100. I see that the original is no longer in production, but I can’t seem to find any post that’s specific on a brand or manufacturer. The cost of the capacitor isn’t any issue, but I did want to know the best I can get to restore this amps beauty. Please excuse my ignorance and thanks for any help that can be provided.

Best Matt

Last edited:
Welcome to AK!
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/mcintosh/mc2105.shtml Doesn't show the mounting of the caps. A pic would help showing mount and wiring. An dims on the height and diameter. These are 39,000uf 40w Wattage increase is easy and I'm pretty sure 39kuf was overkill
So post pics and dims.

is there some thing cosmetic about the caps that is important?

Correction.

39000uf, 40V
Voltage increase is OK.

I have new caps in 39000uf, 75V that fit 2205.
They may be correct for 2105.

Get physical measurements.

Thanks guys, for your responses. I order the large can Caps that you where talking about and am excited to work on this unit with my son. For an older A/V guy this is my version of rebuilding a muscle car with my kid. I appreciate everyone replies to help and I’ll post and update once we get this thing a new set of lungs.. Best, Matthew

I supplied Matthew with new Nippon Chemi-Con 39000uf, 75v.
3" x 3.625" (3 5/8) inches, 76mm x 93 mm.

I've used them in the 2205.

Ok, so I replaced the capacitors you sent and the work amazing. Thanks @bthagstrom. It was like dropping new batteries in a toys. Came to life guns blazing. You saved me ton of time and can’t thank you enough. I don’t though wonder are you able to obtain the two sets of large Capasitors for the MC 250? If so I’m a man of habit and trust you advise and supply. Thanks again my friend. First Class.

Best Matthew

Ok, so I replaced the capacitors you sent and the work amazing. Thanks @bthagstrom. It was like dropping new batteries in a toys. Came to life guns blazing. You saved me ton of time and can’t thank you enough. I don’t though wonder are you able to obtain the two sets of large Capasitors for the MC 250? If so I’m a man of habit and trust you advise and supply. Thanks again my friend. First Class.

Best Matthew

Thank you.

I've never seen an MC250 in person.

McIntosh gear doesn't show up in the trash.
I'm more of a "raise the dead from the dumpster and make a zombie" sort of guy.
But, I've been known to do some decent restorations on pretty Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood type stuff.

I supplied Matthew with new Nippon Chemi-Con 39000uf, 75v.
3" x 3.625" (3 5/8) inches, 76mm x 93 mm.

I've used them in the 2205.

Do you have a part number for those? It would let me know the pin spacing and other dimension beyond what you posted. thanks!

Nippon / Chemi-Con is now known as United Chemi-Con.

This is one that would fit:

E36D750CPN393QEB7M

That part number is low post and will not be a drop in replacement. E36D750HPN393TE92N is the high post version that would fit, but it is special order.

Mouser has:
36DY393F075DL2B which is 39,000uf 75V in proper can configuration with high terminals.

Last edited:
36DY393F075DL2B are now obsolete.

I special ordered E36D800LLN393ME79U. had to get a case full and it took 10 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom