LaScala cover

No the vintage LaScala's are just plain ol plywood w/whatever stain & varnish you put on it.The everyone bitchs about ruining the originality of stuff I was just wondering.I have a real nice sheet of expensive Birch veneer that I was going to have professionally applied.After 36 years I'm sick of the cheap look.Since they sound like a million bucks why not give em the look to back the kick ?

But if you ordered them raw... you would have received a .....birch plywood speaker... If you ordered them with some finish... they were still a birch box under the finish. In other words, birch was the only plywood available (as best I recall... I've owned a pair since buying them new in 1979)

Why not put something on nicer than birch veneer? Maple, walnut, mahogany, teak, etc. Tons of choices out there. I used ribbon mahogany on the Belles I built.

2018-02-25 18.57.40.jpg 2018-02-25 18.57.56.jpg I did these about 8 years ago in red oak veneer, came out very well. I got these from a guy that was using them for stands under his work table. I was glad i brought them back to their glory. Good luck with yours
I didn't buy them, I rescued them from being abused.2018-02-25 18.57.40.jpg

Wow those look outstanding ! I'm guessing you used the add glue type instead of lick & stick ? I think people don't realize that these vintage La Scalas were made w/plain ol plywood - some stain & varnish - have a nice day kid ! I'll post some pictures when I'm finished personalizing/bringing back to life.They weren't built for looks - just performance & man do they perform !!! Kind of like my ex ol lady.

A lot of the "plain ol' plywood" was actually expensive plywood laminated with a veneer. Cheap plywood is easily identified due to the numerous knots exposed on the surface. If your LaScalas do not have knots, then it is most probably a laminated surface. Does your "plain jane" plywood have many knots? Let's see some pictures!
:needpics:

LaScala.jpg
Yes, but with the raw versions the plywood board ends were exposed so you could see the plywood layers. All joints are butted up rather than a 45 degree angle. Even a birch veneer would be an aesthetic improvement. My first set of Klipsch was raw Cornwalls in 1979. I regretted not paying for a veneer within a couple of weeks after getting them in my house.

Last edited:
Contact cement is the way to go. Apply on both surfaces, wait until it dries to a tacky finish and then apply the veneer to the surface. Within 24 hours you won't be able to pry the veneer off ever again!

Back
Top Bottom