Laser Optics Cleaners

FauxHall

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My SACD/DVD/CD players have started to skip so went off to Fry's to look for magic bullet remedies.

They had two discs that claimed to do the job. One is a Memorex-branded "DVD lens cleaner" and the other was dollar more - forgot the name - but I've bought that before. The Memorex has a single row of little, flexible plastic spikes on the play side of the disc. The other, if memory serves, has rows of brushes in a helix pattern.

I think that CDs use a different laser than DVDs and SACDs. Do the latter two use the same optics?

Anyone tried both discs in a comparison test?

I asked my tech about what he uses to clean the laser optics when he opens a player up. He said Windex or the like on a Q-tip. Might try that too.

Any other suggestions or opinions?

I don't think anything you can stick in the drawer is going to be effective. Ground thyself then use a Q-Tip damp with lens cleaner or Windex. Don't scrub or wiggle the thing to death. A few gentle circular strokes and you're done. Speaking of death, one static zap will destroy the laser. Did I mention grounding yourself to the chassis. Just holding one corner should be sufficient.

Actually, you don't even need the liquid. If you can get to the lens, simply wiping it with a Qtip is as good as anything.

Revive this old thread instead of starting new one:

I searched AK for a bit and could not find my answers.

I have a (correct version) PS1 that I use as a CDP (I find it actually quite nice, but that argument is old and complicated). Lately a few CD began to skip or otherwise not perform. Once moved to my Tascam (main system) they were 100% perfect.

I figure a good cleaning is in order. I was going to use a disc cleaner but have wondered how a "no touch" CD can clean a lens? I was going to buy this on a friends rec https://www.amazon.com/UBER-27311-L...srs=9378251011&ie=UTF8&qid=1530908666&sr=8-12

....but am thinking a cotton swab (I have xclnt ones for my RTR) with a solution. I have read windex is better than iso and I have both.

Input on using these disc cleaners (still unsure how that would work with no touch) or manual clean.

TIA,
D

Well just as an FYI for those that later land here....

I used http://hopecompany.com/#!/product/perfect-glass-spray which I had in my auto detail bag of tricks..... Plays rock solid now.

I have a quart bottle I used a tiny bit on a cotton swab (lintless) used for RT909. Very sparingly applied, then with barely any pressure wiped the lens while "twirling" the swab between my fingers and then waited for it to dry before use.

Last edited:
If you start with a quart, and use 2 drops per player, you can service 9463 of them!

If you start with a quart, and use 2 drops per player, you can service 9463 of them!
Yeah, but I use it on my autos too..... still lasts a very long time. Meanwhile I have been trying to sort through 100's of CDs of stuff I stopped listening to years ago and before I ditch them want to be sure I still won't listen. IOW my PS1 is getting a major work out.

Back
Top Bottom