Laserology - CD Players and why they stop reading

Great info - but for those of us who aren't techs, is there still anyone who will work on CD changers? I have a Sony CDP-C910 that was working fine until this morning, and now won't recognize a disc. It accepts the disc, spins for 5-6 seconds, never 'reads' anything, and then moves to the next disc...

I've got a Sony XA20ES, where the entire drawer mechanism ejects to load, then slides over a stationary laser. The one with the aluminum puck without which the entire thing is useless? Well, after years of good service, CDs play fine until they get to the last few tracks. Those last few skip quite a bit. IIRC, the outer part of the disk is where the last few tracks are located.

Would this be a dirty lens issue or a dirty rails issue or what? I'm fine with cleaning and changing a belt on the average CD player but this is a totally different animal.

Anyone ever have this issue and know how to solve it?

Your spindle motor upper sleeve bearing may have worn and developed significant run-out. At the outer edge of CDs, the spiral is harder to track laterally and bearing play with exacerbate that issue. The spindle motor may also be worn and unable to speed correct a the lower rotational speeds at the outer tracks.

The Sony's with the heavy puck were not a great design in that respect.

Old DEnon cdp skipping/stuttering only on FIRST TRACK after that it works flawlessly, plays right to the last track and sounds great. I am using the digital optical out into a PIONEER AV receiver's optical input to its builtin DAC. Any suggestions on a fix for this problem?

The good thing about this cdp is that the IR remote controls all functions including fade in/out. This is a background BBQ area system always under cover.

Sony CDP-302: All my cd's read instantly but I had 3 or 4 cd's that would not read until tapping hard on top cover then it would spool up & play, turns out those cd's that wouldn't read were slightly warped which I believe threw off by millimeters the center hole on disc & wouldn't seat on bottom clamp platter flat that has the round piece that fits in the cd disc hole to center disc, then tapping hard on top cover would seat the disc & then would read. So instead of tapping hard on top metal cover directly over clamp mechanism, I cut a square hole directly above clamp center on the metal top cover of cd player & now I can stick my finger through & gently tap on top clamp & cd seats & plays every time. I stick a flat refrigerator magnet over square hole to keep dust out I bought the CDP-302 brand new in 1985 & still sounds great & all original.

Last edited:
Sony CDP-302: All my cd's read instantly but I had 3 or 4 cd's that would not read until tapping hard on top cover then it would spool up & play, turns out those cd's that wouldn't read were slightly warped which I believe threw off by millimeters the center hole on disc & wouldn't seat on bottom clamp platter flat that has the round piece that fits in the cd disc hole to center disc, then tapping hard on top cover would seat the disc & then would read. So instead of tapping hard on top metal cover directly over clamp mechanism, I cut a square hole directly above clamp center on the metal top cover of cd player & now I can stick my finger through & gently tap on top clamp & cd seats & plays every time. I stick a flat refrigerator magnet over square hole to keep dust out I bought the CDP-302 brand new in 1985 & still sounds great & all original.
Why wouldn't you just take some sandpaper to the holes in the cds and enlarge the hole slightly or remove burrs that might be there?

Why wouldn't you just take some sandpaper to the holes in the cds and enlarge the hole slightly or remove burrs that might be there?
I did with a small pocket knife, I took a cd that reads all the time & checked how tight it fit in it's jewel case fingers, then the unreadable cd's & they fit tighter so I opened up the holes to match the readable cd but when enlarged they still wouldn't read, I didn't want 2 go to large with side movement so that's why I cut the access window so I could tap the clamp & wah-lah, cd's that won't spool up just needs that little tap. I used 2 pound on the top cover. The clamp also has that adjusting screw that forces it downward but that did nothing so I put the screw back where it was. To be on the safe side I won't use my finger to tap but use something made of rubber so I don't get shocked for some ground fault anomaly. The compartment door fly's open & shut, I found a special polarized light gun & appliance oil from the 1960's in a small can that never gets sticky it's awesome, the door used 2 always stick with every oil under the sun until I found this old oil.

Last edited:
"Please use new qtips without ear wax on them"(when cleaning laser). So that's why it never worked.[/QUOTE Cotton growers use more pesticides on their cotton than all other crops combined, I never use cotton to clean anything, it leaves strands every where. I use small patches of micro fiber, lint free & you don't need chemicals just dampened with water & followed up by a dry micro fiber patch. Pesticides in my ears? lol.

Is it possible to do something if the player plays silver cd's, but not cd-r's? I got a Technics SL-PJ27 which was "broken" for free with complete stereo set X101. It started to work after I gave the disc speed with my finger(!), as the motor didn't spin. Maybe it was stuck after years of unusage It now plays factory cd's perfectly, but does not recognize cd-r's.

Used the information in this thread to repair Sony CDP C325M. Unit was not spinning up CDs and indicating 'no disc'. Ascertained that laser unit moving up and down as disc moved slowly clockwise in about 5 small increments. Disc then stopped moving. Laser not reading CD but obviously detecting that CD was there. Concluded laser probably OK. Turned off power, removed disc and moved CD optical unit towards front of unit along rail. Powered up unit and observed that laser unit tracked back to centre. Reinserted disc and laser read TOC and played disc after Play was pressed. Repeated process and oiled rail. Unit fixed. Was a tracking gain issue. Thanks.

Your spindle motor upper sleeve bearing may have worn and developed significant run-out. At the outer edge of CDs, the spiral is harder to track laterally and bearing play with exacerbate that issue. The spindle motor may also be worn and unable to speed correct a the lower rotational speeds at the outer tracks.

The Sony's with the heavy puck were not a great design in that respect.

Thanks for your reply. As you can see, it's been a very long time since I addressed this issue. Is there a way to repair this or a merchant from whom to access a new spindle motor? How does one verify that's the issue by a visual inspection? Thanks

I have a Sansui cd-a917 that would eventually skip at some point on about 40% of my CDs.

I followed the suggestion on dr*audio’s thread to apply new lubricant to the “top bearing of the disk motor”.
This solved the problem significantly. The skipping was reduced to 15%.

Then I read the suggestion at lampizator.eu to clean the laser crystal;
(I used very diluted Dr Bonner’s followed by distilled water, then a final dry swabbing)
upload_2019-10-17_12-49-13.jpeg

now CDs that were notoriously skippy play like new! So far at least.

This method of course works only if the laser crystal is reachable.
(Contemporary laser pickups that I have bought with the eventual goal of installing them as substitutes for discontinued pickups have unreachable, deeply set, laser crystals.)

Last edited:
Clean your CD/DVD's laser with an Acrylic cleaner, "Brillianize", $8.99 from Amazon and a microfiber cloth. Q-tips can leave fibers, which won't help.
It brought my pricey Reference Audio Mods CD player back to life.
I had to remove four chassis screws, which held the transport mechanism in order to reach the lens.
It's easily the best $8.99 I spent on my audio system.

Clean your CD/DVD's laser with an Acrylic cleaner, "Brillianize", $8.99 from Amazon and a microfiber cloth. Q-tips can leave fibers, which won't help.
It brought my pricey Reference Audio Mods CD player back to life.
I had to remove four chassis screws, which held the transport mechanism in order to reach the lens.
It's easily the best $8.99 I spent on my audio system.
It's a lens. You should use Kodak Lens Cleaner. That's what it's for. You are probably right not to use Q tips, but it's too difficult to get in there with lens cleaning tissue and you might damage something. I haven't ever found left over fibers from Q tips on the optical pickup. You could always carefully blow them off with a can of compressed air.

I use a foam swab, which come in a DeOxit Survival Kit, to clean the laser lenses. These are available for sale separately as well and don't leave any dust or fibers behind. Use a decent quality photographic lens cleaner, safe for plastic polycarbonate lenses for best result. You must be sure that the cleaner will not harm the laser lens or degrade the adhesive that holds the lens to the lens holder frame, if it's mounted that way.

Pioneer CD players are notorious for the lens's falling out and rattling around in the case.This renders an otherwise operational unit DOA. I've bought and fixed more than a few Pioneer players with the loose lens rattling around inside the case and returned them to 100% operational again.

DO NOT USE Cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue), as even a pins-head amount can melt the plastic lens or cloud it from the vapors in close proximity to the lens while wet. I use a 2 part epoxy, less than 1/2 of a pinpoint amount in the lens groove, well spread and thin as possible. It doesn't take anything much to keep the lens in place, as it doesn't need to be structurally sound or take a lot of stress. Just enough to secure it is more than enough.

Recapping really old higher quality CD players can improve tracking ability and even sound quality big time. By old, meaning 30+ years old, and sometimes younger. The units which use the first generation Phillips CDM1 transport often have big time tracking / playing issues with old-failing caps. Many instances the transport is wrongly condemned, and new replacements have long since been discontinued. It only takes 1 bad cap in the CD transport/servo control to cause mistracking, distortion errors, or a player that wont read any disc at all. New PS, servo, and audio caps will often return the unit to full operation, and even improve sound quality over the old caps, even better than when the caps were still fairly new. It seems Phillips with all their resources didn't always use the best quality caps even in the high end CD players.

I've had dead CD players here where the soundstage was very narrow, 1 dimensional and fixed centered between the speakers. Upon replacing old aluminum electrolytic caps, installing Nichicon Audio Grade, Fine Gold or better, of the same rating, the soundstage opened up, extending beyond the speaker planes in all directions while displaying very noticeable improvement in overall separation. Some folks will roll in better modern DAC's as well, provided there is a higher quality modern equivalent available. I've personally replaced the old 4066 chips in some of my Sony cassette players and was able to attain an immediate, not so subtle improvement in sound quality. I'd say anything with the old 4066 chips could benefit from adding a socket and rolling in newer 4066 substitutions with better specifications.

If you have a CD player with 10v caps in it, I always upgrade them to 16v of the same farad rating. My experiences with 10v aluminum electrolytic caps in audio gear has shown me these fail more often than caps of other voltages. Anything with 10v caps I open up are replaced with 16v caps automatically. YRMV, and YMMV of course.

Back
Top Bottom