Last Best Thing I Heard on My McIntosh

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by Velocityboat, Dec 12, 2016.

1. motorstereo

motorstereo the wonder of it all Subscriber

That would be Hallelujah by the Mainheim Steamroller Orchestra. I've never ever heard or should I say felt bass like that in any song and it actually had me thinking structural damage to my listening building.

chuckworkb likes this.
  2. MAC TED

MAC TED Super Member

For anyone who may be interested, Sturgill will be performing on SNL on Jan. 7th.

3. MORTIS

MORTIS Alien Member

Speaking of 'Hallelujah', this Christmas CD by the a capella group Pentatonix sounds stunning. The stage is huge, deep, and powerful.

4. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Will be tuned in for sure. It looks like Sturgill's two prior albums are also equally revered so I'll grabbing both very soon.

5. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think you will be surprised by how different each album is!

6. erasehead

erasehead AK Subscriber Subscriber

My 225 arrived about a week ago. Surpassed my expectations, wonderful little thing. That amp with my 110Z into 63 Khorns has been playing Talking Heads '77.Pretty much wore out True Stories before that. Darn good recordings.

7. jbailey930

jbailey930 AK Member Subscriber

Went to my favorite/local hifi shop, Command AV, to shoot some stuff and see what is around. I've been thinking about Focal Sopra's so they twisted my arm into listening some more. I walked away unscathed for now.... but when I got home I brought up What's It All About by Pat Metheney

streamed through Sonos---> Music Fid DAC ----> CJ PV 7 tube pre ----->MC2205 (requisite Mc gear for post) to my recapped Rect III's. Astounding detail and soundstage. Not quite Focal but quite good.

8. FrankDIN

FrankDIN AK Subscriber Subscriber

Christopher Denny - If The Roses Don't Kill Us - Partisan Records

Normaly, this kind of music is not the Music I listen normaly (Rock and more mainstream) ... but on my McIntosh System this sounds great - so great that I listen
    this CD for long time regular 2 or 3 time in a week.

Greetings Frank

This Artist is to me total unknow (in Europe, Germany?!). So it was a random found to me! My be he is well know in US and I do take "Owls to Athens". ;-)

9. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Boy you weren't joking!

10. Velocityboat

Velocityboat Well-Known Member

Hallelujah is also done great by Jeff Buckley. Pentonix and steamroller covers are great there are studio and live versions with the late great Jeff's guitar and his voice that you both can't miss. Yes those recordings will take you on the time machine ride.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  11. MORTIS

MORTIS Alien Member

Agreed. I prefer this studio version I found of Jeff's cover on the tube. By the way, there are apparently 28 original verses and this has an additional verse (3:27) not included in most other covers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  12. Vinyl Rules!

Vinyl Rules! Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]
    Mortis,

Thank you for sharing this CD from Pentatonix with everyone. I listened to the link you provided and was REALLY impressed.

I immediately ordered it from Amazon & it arrived today. My wife and I think it is an absolutely phenomenal sounding recording with a spectacular soundstage! :beerchug:

Many thanks again for opening us up to this group & this album. You have very good taste in music! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

13. kevzep

kevzep Its all about the Music

Steve Vai, Gravity Storm, Crank it!!

14. leftside

leftside AK Member Subscriber

15. MORTIS

MORTIS Alien Member

Thank you sir

Many good suggestions from everyone here. Keep 'em coming.

If you can get into electro-industrial this is a real sonic experience, again with a deep, wide and powerful stage, and will give your system a workout. It begs to be cranked ;)
    The founder of this band 'Front Line Assembly, is also a member of Skinny Puppy but I prefer FLA.

16. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Jim Hall Concierto, awesome.

Christmas present from my son.

0101171229.jpg

17. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Super Mod Subscriber

Here is my favorite slide player. Just enjoy a little zydeco. :)

motorstereo likes this.
  18. Velocityboat

Do I Love You use you Beautiful? John Coltrane Fearless leader Box Set. About 2 minutes in the producer just nails the mix. Be patient

19. Velocityboat

Dancing in the Moonlight. By King Harvest. Great Harmonies and simple melodies.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  20. twiiii

twiiii Super Member

Sheffield and Reference Recording analog albums. Direct to disc LP's are always a surprise. Some Telarc CD and SACD. Live recordings I made myself. But some times movie sound tracks can almost be unbelievable they are so clear and clean. And I'm not talking about the sound effects.

Bill Ferris likes this.