last McIntosh pre amp that wouldnt need firmware upgrades?

jdwk

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
trying to find out the last pre amp that wouldn't have software to upgrade it,

Firmware is definitely something I feel wary about as a buyer. I won't say a design flaw, but it doesn't have great forward compatibility

The discontinued models should not have the firmware update

C42 and 46 are discontinued models, but would be pretty sure they would have firmware in them for the controls to interact with the pre-amp.......
So that would be not entirely correct...

Firmware is definitely something I feel wary about as a buyer. I won't say a design flaw, but it doesn't have great forward compatibility

How's that? If it works when its new it will continue to work.....Contrary to popular belief, they don't need "updates" to continue to work....

How's that? If it works when its new it will continue to work.....Contrary to popular belief, they don't need "updates" to continue to work....
That's fair. However, when there are issues with hardware aging and needing repair (as anything eventually will) my concern would be that the firmware would begin acting funny or be difficult to back up or work with during system maintenance. From my perspective, it almost seems like an "unobtanium" part

Not counting reissue vintage, what was the last "stickshift" Mac preamp/control center without a cpu?

There's no shortage of hi end preamps, most without firmware updates. They're like the Defense Dept. Always trying to deal with non working features while the plane/ship is in service. This bespeaks a co functioning in isolation with too many products. Ask them if your hard earned $ needed a firmware update.

I've owned the C2200, C2300, C2500 and now the C52. I've never once did a firmware update and never had any problems with the original firmware. I never saw the need for it. It's pretty much a non issue in my mind.

If you want the last of the truly analog pre-amps with great flexibility and the ability to almost do everything, you want a C-40. It has a separate record selector, switching to insert processors in the record loop or the play back loop, it has switchable graphic tone controls. Has a built in monitor amp, etc etc etc. With a precision tracing volume control and excellent build quality its a great unit to build a system around.

thanks I am about to leap into new speakers, and of course one begins to think of upgrading the rest of the system. I am going to listen to the Goldenear speakers. I have a feeling I will like them, no guarantees of course,

I'm not too sure I'd let firmware be a deciding factor here as that rules out the C100/C100A/C200.

That's fair. However, when there are issues with hardware aging and needing repair (as anything eventually will) my concern would be that the firmware would begin acting funny or be difficult to back up or work with during system maintenance. From my perspective, it almost seems like an "unobtanium" part
The firmware is burned in on an Eprom, its not like a computer where a file or a packet can be corrupted....The chip could die, but then that's the same as most anything else in the pre-amp that can fail.
In my experience with this sort of gear, which is quite a lot, its usually mechanical things like encoders which fail, and they are very generic items and I've never had any issue obtaining them.
I still use audio gear which feature digital control interfaces which are often 20-25 years old without any issue, never have broken down, still in service...

I don't think its worth worrying about personally, they are not computers, they have a much much longer service life than any computer I know of.....

The firmware is burned in on an Eprom, its not like a computer where a file or a packet can be corrupted....The chip could die, but then that's the same as most anything else in the pre-amp that can fail.
In my experience with this sort of gear, which is quite a lot, its usually mechanical things like encoders which fail, and they are very generic items and I've never had any issue obtaining them.
I still use audio gear which feature digital control interfaces which are often 20-25 years old without any issue, never have broken down, still in service...

I don't think its worth worrying about personally, they are not computers, they have a much much longer service life than any computer I know of.....
I think that kind of experience is telling. Thanks for posting. Perhaps I was wrong :idea:

and to make things worse, there is a 602 on ebay and I really want that amp. but sometimes I think I should just get a second 2500 I want more headroom to tighten up the sound through whatever pair of speakers I get next

and to make things worse, there is a 602 on ebay and I really want that amp. but sometimes I think I should just get a second 2500 I want more headroom to tighten up the sound through whatever pair of speakers I get next
Do it, you know you want the 602!! Who wouldn't!!

Back
Top Bottom