Last week I'd never heard of the Infinity WTLC, now I own four of them

lattiboy

I had heard these mentioned when I was researching my Kappas 6 last week, but never paid much attention. Then yesterday a guy just throwaway mentions he has them for sale in an ad for receiver.

I immediately inquire if the tweeters work and when I can get them. I drove all the way across the Sound to grab them. I ran a 8-14k frequency test to ensure the Ohms were functional and BOY did I forget how painful those tests can be without properly lowering the volume. He tells me he wants to sell all four at once and I oblige. JUST fit them all in my sedan.

Welp, I'm now sitting at my office desk listening to sound bounce all over the room like I'm having a lunch time acid trip. These things are bananas!

The tweeters need to be be refoamed eventually, and they ain't the prettiest things I've ever seen, but these things do vocals and acoustic guitar as well as any speaker I've ever heard. The little guitar run on Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic" at about 1:15 has never sounded so clear before (and I've heard this song approximately one billion times).

The bass is adequate, but I happened to have a Def Tech Reference Supercube (1800W monster) sitting around. Pairing these turned into a true "wall of sound" situation that was honestly overwhelming. Especially considering this is all about 6ft in front of me.

They are not too power hungry, which I was worried about as there is seemingly no efficiency numbers available for them. Running them around 12 o'clock on the SMSL SA-98E amp at my desk and they are as loud as as this 14x12 room can possibly handle. I would guess around 86db or so.

So, yeah, if you happen upon a pair SNATCH THEM UP with all possible speed.

PS I'm temporarily alone 6 hours a day in my building, so I am able to blast music at will. It is so great and I hope I never have office mates again!

PPS yes, there is a small tear in that front driver. It doesn't seem to be effecting performance, but I have little hope of finding that driver for a reasonable price.

96BFzo1.jpg

Wonderful.
I noticed the woofer in the pic has been replaced with an incorrect one.
Both the downfiring and front woofers are run full frequency and are each appropriately doped, "mechanically crossed over" without inductors. The doping allow each to roll off at desired levels.
It'll be a bit difficult to find replacements however with some (quite a bit) luck they can be found.
I have a pair that I value as keepers and one of the best vintage speakers I've had and heard.
These 1973 dipoles are well balanced top to bottom,warm, full sounding, image like crazy with sound coming from all over the room on excellent recordings.
attachment.php.jpeg

Wonderful.
I noticed the woofer in the pic has been replaced with an incorrect one.
Both the downfiring and front woofers are run full frequency and are each appropriately doped, "mechanically crossed over" without inductors. The doping allow each to roll off at desired levels.
It'll be a bit difficult to find replacements however with some (quite a bit) luck they can be found.
I have a pair that I value as keepers and one of the best vintage speakers I've had and heard.
These 1973 dipoles are well balanced top to bottom,warm, full sounding, image like crazy with sound coming from all over the room on excellent recordings.
View attachment 1085921

Awesome info! I actually got ALL FOUR original woofers with the purchase, I just have to refoam 2 of them (already ordered the kit). The original owner was a really nice dude, but he seemed to think OEM components were not worth repairing. I sometimes agree with this, but this is clearly a case where a lot is being missed.

PS I actually thought a tweeter was blown, but it turns out the recording I was listening to had a sax player with a VERY wet mouth (Gran Green remaster on Tidal). THAT was when I knew these were special speakers...

I have a pair of those myself that need the woofers redone.

There are two woofers per cabinet, front woofer and a downward firing woofer.

Does anybody have part numbers for the drivers on these? I can't seem to find one for the front facing mid and I don't wanna do surgery to find out.

PPS yes, there is a small tear in that front driver. It doesn't seem to be effecting performance, but I have little hope of finding that driver for a reasonable price.

One thing you can try is to remove the torn driver and repair it. You can usually use a thin coffee filter, or a small section of a paper towel. Maybe use a colored coffee filter, that matches the cone in appearance. Then, cut out a small section, large enough to cover the tear spot. Then apply the patch from the back of the cone, with a small amount thinned white glue. Once the patch gets saturated with the glue, you can somewhat adjust it to fit into the correct area of the cone. Use a thin edge of some type (a small jewelers screwdriver), to fit the patch into the cone's surround. Just mainly for looks. Once it's dried, it should be good to use.

Thanks, but I need the mids, not the woofers.
The "mids" are Peerless.
These drivers are "closed back" and can't be accessed from the back however you can bridge the crack with a tiny bit of glue soaked tissue as mentioned above.

After your post I brought out my WTLCs.
Out of curiosity, because I suspect many vintage speakers people own have been taken apart and rewired incorrectly, I checked and wired them according to the Infinity WTLC.
http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/WTLC_technical_sheet.pdf
I think many WTLCs might not be wired according to the schematic. When you have your drivers out for refoaming perhaps you can document how yours are wired?
I suspect it will look "correct" but not according to the schematic;)

Last edited:
Congrats on 2 pairs of awesome and very unique vintage speakers! I love my WLTC as well as their successor, the Column II. The Column II did away with the Walsh tweeter in favor of forward and rear facing Motorola peizo tweeters and increased the front and downfiring woofers to 10" instead of 8". Infinity also doubled the MSRP to $1,500 a pair. The Column II hits harder and sounds bigger, but the WTLC sounds more airy. I like them both equally.

Interesting to see the one in your picture appears to have an oak cabinet. I had previously only seen them in walnut.

Also, replacing the foam in the Walsh tweeters is easy. Just go to Home Depot and buy a shop vac foam filter for $5. This is almost exactly the same open-cell foam that Infinity originally used. Cut the cylinder in half, then again. Then place a quart can over it and trace it out with a sharp blade. This is the exact size needed to fit the tweeter. Cut a small hole in the center to go around the metal post. Done.

Back
Top Bottom