Late 60s Stereo Console

mshepard

Happy New Year, AKers!

Personally, I was very happy to see 2015 in the rear view mirror. As with most things though, it was not all bad. My in-laws moved from their home of 50 years and in their usual generous way gave me their old stereo console. While I am not crazy about the styling, it is a terrific present and I am very grateful to them for allowing me to have it.

Anybody interested in what's inside ?!

All the best,
Mike

Stereo Console.jpg Barzilay.jpg

Yes.
I've seen one with the guts ripped out but the speakers are still in place.
I've message the seller enquiring about what the speakers are but had no reply

Hi Thomo,

Here are the speakers......not what I was expecting. In fact, I didn't know speakers like these even existed.

JBL front.jpg

JBL back.jpg

LE14C.jpg

JBL14Cs which have tweeters inside the woofers

IMG_0491.JPG

I suppose it saved space but other than that I really don't see the point. They sound ok and are in fantastic shape.

Any thoughts?

I want a Barzilay cabinet so bad. Don't even mind if it has nothing inside, I have gear to go inside. The JBL speakers inside the cabinet was for aesthetic reasons. And chosen by the buyer.

I will have to ask my father-in law if he remembers choosing the audio components. He doesn't have any expertise in audio electronics, he just enjoys music. I suppose this was a high end stereo console in it's day. He generally is not the type to splurge. He has driven Chevys and Fords all his life and is frugal in almost every way I can think of, except when it comes to education, in which case he will spend whatever it takes. In this case though, it looks like he forked over some cash.

Here are the rest of the innards:

Model 18 Receiver.jpg

Marantz Model 18 receiver

Dual 1019.jpg

Dual 1019 Turntable

Ooops, meant to ask you in the last post, Kent, what aesthetic reasons would you be referring to?

Mike

Very nice console with top quality build and components. Those JBLs are sweet and I believe the tweeter mounted that way provides for time alignment and acts as a single point source.

Beautiful with nice wood workmanship, though the style is not for me, plus surprisingly excellent components and speaker choices.

About 3-4 years ago, I had a hot lead on a Barzilay cabinet on CL for $50.00. Unfortunately, my Audiokarma mojo was just not working that day, and a fellow AKer beat me to it. Meh...

OTOH, your setup is SWEET!!

I will have to ask my father-in law if he remembers choosing the audio components. He doesn't have any expertise in audio electronics, he just enjoys music. I suppose this was a high end stereo console in it's day. He generally is not the type to splurge. He has driven Chevys and Fords all his life and is frugal in almost every way I can think of, except when it comes to education, in which case he will spend whatever it takes. In this case though, it looks like he forked over some cash.

Here are the rest of the innards:

View attachment 670801

Marantz Model 18 receiver

View attachment 670803

Dual 1019 Turntable

The Marantz 18 receiver listed for $695 in the late 1960s (which is about $4500 dollars today). They were produced from 1967-1969.

Back
Top Bottom