Latisha's Family

Ms Grumpy

Administrator
Admin
Super Mod
Subscriber
When I set up a time to shop with Latisha on Saturday I was hoping that Ernie would be available to come with me. And as it turned out he was able to. Ernie met me at the store where we waited for Latisha. Latisha does not currently own a car so she borrowed her moms car to meet us and Saturday morning her mom overslept. It all worked out.

When Latisha arrived she walked up to Ernie and I and gave us a hug and thanked us for helping her family. Little did we know at this point that this young woman would turn out to be someone that we all would be proud of.

When we went into the store Latisha headed right to the toys, she knew what she wanted for her kids. Latisha's has a 16yr old daughter, 13 1/2 yr old son, 8 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter. She spoke very highly of her children. Her oldest daughter was into Cheerleading, her sons loved Hockey and little youngest girl was her baby girl need I say more.

As we shopped I was really happy that Ernie was there. When looking at the basketballs Ernie suggested the right one for her son. Then on to hockey sticks I don't know if I would have asked if the boys were right or left handed but Ernie did. I usually do a lot of talking with the moms and dads but I let Ernie take the lead on this one and he did a wonderful job and especially making Latisha comfortable with both of us. Besides the basketball and hockey sticks we found balls for them to play hockey with, a couple different playdough sets, a lego set, a new Frozen comforter for her 6yr old (this way mom could get hers back) and a Remote Control Truck. About this time there was a pause in the shopping, this usually happens when the moms don't know what else they should get. So I started making suggestions and it was decided that we would look at shoes, that turned into getting socks for her boys. Again Ernie was a huge help here.

We were getting close to her budget and I asked her if there was anything that she wanted...oh no she said...just stuff for the kids. I asked her if she did stocking, she said that her mom used to and that it was OK if the kids didn't have stockings. I then told her about Beverly, the senior that I shopped with on Friday and how Beverly told me to take anything extra from her budget and spend it on a deserving family. I told Latisha that we had a few more dollars and lets go get some cleaning supplies and stockings and things to fill the stockings.

We headed back to the other side of the store and picked up Laundry soap and bleach. Then we headed over to pick up some fruit snacks and pop tarts for the stockings. On the way we past the coffee and she said that her mom had just given her moms old Kerig and she really liked the green tea cups. We couldn't find the green tea cups but we did find the Chai Tea cups and she said they were too expensive...well Ernie snached them right out of her hands and put them in the cart and said..I will cover those for you. I love Ernie, he is as much a softie as I am. We headed over to the candy and picked up candy canes, and other things to fill the stockings. Then we had to head all the way back to the other side of the store to find the stockings. Oh yeah we had to get her wrapping paper and tape too.

Shopping was done, now it was time to check out. Now I usually do a pretty good job keeping track but near the end of this trip we were just seeing her face light up even more, every time we put more stuff into the cart for her family. The total was a lot less than I thought it would be and she walked out with a shopping cart overflowing with stuff for her kids.

We walked with Latisha to her car and helped her pack the trunk and back seat with all her bags. She gave me a hug and said thank you for giving her kids a Christmas. I started to cry and told her that I wished that I had an unlimited budget for her family because she was so sweet. She proceeded to tell us that she is living with her sister right now because her husband left her. When she moved in with her sister her sister told her about VOA because years ago her sister had applied and had received help. She also told us that her oldest daughter who is a Junior in High School had to do 15 hrs of volunteer work and that Latisha went with her to do 10hrs of volunteer work Lighthouse Outreach Center. After Latisha's hours were done the staff thanked her for her time and said that they probably wouldn't see them again. She proved them wrong, she has been back every week to help. She also told us that her sister applied for a home through Habitat for Humanity and has been working toward getting her home. During all of the volunteering that her sister did Latisha also went. The way that the program for Habitat for Humanity works the actual person/family that is going to get a home, must put in hundreds of hours toward buiding a home they also ask that familiy members volunteer 50 hours toward the home. Latisha went along and helped her sister get the 50 family hours and when she was over the 50 hours she was able to give any hours she volunteered to other people who may not have had families that could help. Best part of this whole story is that Latisha's sister will be moving into her new home before Christmas and that she has invited Latisha and her family to move into the home with them until she gets back on her feet.

We said our goodbyes again and gave each other a hug. I asked her to let me know when she gets a place of her own. I really want to know how she is doing.

This may not have been a story that made you laugh or cry, but a story of a beautiful young woman who gives so much of herself for others. This is who you helped to bring the magic of Christmas......

A huge Thank you to Ernie for helping to make this a day that Latisha won't soon forget.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thank you, Nancy, for letting me tag along. Shopping for kids is fun. (Some of my favourite stuff is in that cart.) I was glad that I could help. We logged a lot of miles in that store, back and forth, but it was big fun.

Folks, I'm lucky, that I get to experience the results of all the generous support that you all give to this cause. If you could see the look in the eyes of Latisha, a young mom who knows that her kids are going to have a Christmas this year, after she has already told them that there won't be much of anything for them this year. Well, if that doesn't get you right in the feels, there isn't anything else I can say.

Just know that, together, we are doing some great things, one family at a time.

Thanks you two and to all of the AudioKarma family that makes this all possible. You are the best.

ps Wonderful news, the founder of Habitats For Humanity is in remission from his brain cancer as of last week. The scans came up clear. :thumbsup:

Shopping with the families has become a Christmas tradition for me.

It is a lot of work but I always look forward to it every year. So far his year I have logged over 150 miles on the car shopping with the families.

Back
Top Bottom