"Lazy" Meter on my MC2205

JosephH

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I switched my system on yesterday and found that one of the meters on my 2205 is indicating much lower wattage than the other. The output to each channel seems clean, equal and normal, but the meter is reading almost exactly 1/100th the output. So 20wpc is showing on one meter and .02 is showing on the other.
I worked the channel volume controls through their range of motion about 50 times each (there was a little static which went away quickly) and did the same with the meter selector switch. The reduced indication followed to each setting. I ran the amp and closely monitored it for about 6 hours and its performance never changed. The output remained clean and the one meter's function remained impaired. My system has seen a lot of daily use this week and there were no problems before I powered on yesterday. I saw some other meter issues by doing a search, but nothing quite like this. Has anyone else experienced this? Audio Classics is a 3.5 hour drive each way and I would hate to make that drive for something simple. TIA!

Have you had the power supply rebuilt? Not the big main filter caps but the lower voltage supply that powers the meters and driver board etc.

If not your amp is a decade past due for this upgrade.

At this point I also redo the input and driver boards and stress test the amp to examine the condition of the main filter caps.

Gregory years go posted his meter refurbish thread. This basically involves the delicate disassembly of the meters and cleaning the internal contacts that do eventually get wonky.

Hello JosephH

There is something very simple to do
Disconnect the black and red wire from the left side of the meter board and connect them on the right channel . Do the same with the other meter .
If your trouble is moving from one channel to the other one , this mean that the problem is coming from the board and not from your meter
Once this test made reconnect meters like original configuration and check from where the trouble is coming
Again , touching inside meters is not easy and if it is not job job every day don't do it . AC will repair it easely

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom