LCD Panel Displays ...

Walt

I've been thinking about getting one of the new digital LCD panel displays.

I have held off until now because they have been far too expensive in the past, and the performance with some of the more graphics intensive applications (read - games :D ) has left a lot to be desired. Ditto performace under certain light conditions.

At work here we have NEC Multisync analogue panel displays, and I can tell you I find it easier on my eyes after a day at work than spending 2-3 hours on my CRT at home.

Has anyone got one? What makes/models do you recommend, and how have you found it for games etc?

I've got a new 20" Sony LCD coming. It should be here this week. That and a new Xtasy graphics card. I'll let you know how it does on Quake III.

Walt,

When we purchased our new computer we were dead set on getting an LCD panel display (mostly for space considerations) and for the cost of this display we could have gotten a very good 19 inch CRT but those things are huge space hogs.

Dell only offered two models in the size we required so the LCD flat panel we chose was the Viewsonic ViewPanel VE150B and is a true 15 inch on the diagonal. Now, I am no expert but I must say that this has turned out to be a great decision. The space savings alone are excellent. From front to back it is only 6 inches deep. No heat either. No dust collection because there is no high voltage to attract it. My wife and I use our computer for hours at a time and we have experienced no eye fatigue.

Here's some specs from the owners manual:

Full 15 inch viewable diagonal area TFT (thin film transistor), Active Matrix XGA LCD, 0.297mm pitch with an Anti-Glare surface.

Has all the basic brilliance/contrast controls and such. There's more but I will skip all that.

The only gaming I have done is with Medal of Honor Allied Assault from EA Games. A very graphically intense game (you better have a good vid card for this one) and looks great when playing. I have no complaints.

Well, one voice should not be the decisive answer. Hope others can chime in also. There are many to chose from and in varying degree of cost. The cost for this panel was about $350 USD. The 17 inchers go for about $500 and the 19 inchers are about $750. I believe they have a 21 inch available now but the $1100 price tag is way out my league.

Take care.

Since you guys have finished playing your versions of MOHAA why don't you send it to a poor man (me) to enjoy while toiling thru the boredom of unemployment. I promise to send it back to you when I finish it.

Also make sure your refresh rate is set as high as possible on your CRT 80kHz or higher is best. That should prevent eye strain.

"that's what the PS2 or XBOX is for, as far as I'm concerned"

you're right you are no gamer ;) :D

I was playing Nascar Racing 4 last night with my force feedback wheel racing at Daytona, you aint lived till you play a racing game with a force feedback wheel

I am going to get the new EA Sports F1 2002 ... like Thor I also have a force feedback wheel ... bring it on!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom