Lead Zeppelin anyone?

I used to love the Raceway Park commercials when I was a kid in NYC. SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! NITRO BURNING FUNNY CARS!!!!! WE'LL SELL YOU THE WHOLE SEAT BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!!!!!

Back then, transmission blankets were rare on some cars. Blowing a clutch on the starting line was an adventure for the driver, and spectators. I saw some spectators injured by flying clutch pieces. I miss my friend Matt, (rip), and the Dragway.

Back then, transmission blankets were rare on some cars. Blowing a clutch on the starting line was an adventure for the driver, and spectators. I saw some spectators injured by flying clutch pieces. I miss my friend Matt, (rip), and the Dragway.

the crazy boyfriend of a cute girl on my block got his right leg sheared off by the shifter after the tranny let loose and spun. I don't know that a blanket would have done anything in that situation. The guy was a maniac so most people responded to the news with a shrug and a "figures."

We were at a local dragstrip (Kingdon) one night when a guy in a '57 Chevy scattered his clutch and flywheel. Destroyed the floorboard and dash, but somehow his only injury was a small piece of flywheel that came through, ricocheted off the roof of the car, and stuck in the back of his hand.

How it didn't get his legs was a miracle.

We were at a local dragstrip (Kingdon) one night when a guy in a '57 Chevy scattered his clutch and flywheel. Destroyed the floorboard and dash, but somehow his only injury was a small piece of flywheel that came through, ricocheted off the roof of the car, and stuck in the back of his hand.

How it didn't get his legs was a miracle.

That guy should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home.

d739e48cd3fda18b572c5d25618c42dd.jpg

I know of a situation where some guy used old cast bolts instead of new forged bolts to secure the flywheel, clutch pressure plate assembly. Bolts sheared off which sent the flywheel through the floor of the car taking off his lower leg at the knee. Racing is not safe and anything can happen, if the frame is bent a car will fishtail during high acceleration.

That's why I use one of these with my Tremec 6-speed in my car (blanket only required on automatics faster than 10.99 (135) per nhra.)

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

There was an episode of "Street Outlaws" where something let loose and came through the tunnel. It hit the driver on the bridge of his nose and cut him just a little. Judging by the size of the hole in the tunnel, he was very lucky.

That's why I use one of these with my Tremec 6-speed in my car (blanket only required on automatics faster than 10.99 (135) per nhra.)

View attachment 1186556

View attachment 1186543
View attachment 1186547

It wasn't so much the tranny blowing up and sending parts into the passenger compartment as it was something snapping and transforming the shifter into a guillotine. This is what happened to the guy in my neighborhood. the transmission somehow (i don't remember specifics) let loose and twisted. This took the shifter lever with it and it spun around like a fan unfortunately going through the guy's leg completely severing it. He is lucky to be alive.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think this is part of the allure racing has to the opposite sex. The "anything can happen but we don't care because we are ALPHA" aspect is strong. I mean, how much hotter are Sarah Fisher, Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick because they race?

It wasn't so much the tranny blowing up and sending parts into the passenger compartment as it was something snapping and transforming the shifter into a guillotine. This is what happened to the guy in my neighborhood. the transmission somehow (i don't remember specifics) let loose and twisted. This took the shifter lever with it and it spun around like a fan unfortunately going through the guy's leg completely severing it. He is lucky to be alive.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think this is part of the allure racing has to the opposite sex. The "anything can happen but we don't care because we are ALPHA" aspect is strong. I mean, how much hotter are Sarah Fisher, Janet Guthrie and Danica Patrick because they race?

I guess I should have hit the reply on Djcoolray's post. That's basically what I was replying about. As far as the situation your talking about, that sounds like it would take an act of God.

Back in the 80's I used to maintain a 41' offshore powerboat owned by a guy named Lou Pearlman, He owned a company called Airship International and had a big Blimp painted on the side and always let everyone know he owned the MetLife blimp (He claimed to own the Jordache blimp, but that one crashed). He also was sure to let everyone known that he was Art Garfunkles cousin. Eventually he moved to Florida and began managing the famous boy bands of the 90's. Besides molesting the members of theses bands he was also stealing their money. When that fell apart he started stealing money from a retirement scheme. Eventually they caught up with him after he disappeared for several months and put him in prison for the 5 million he owed investors, He died in prison several years ago.

I used to LOVE going to Drag Races in the late 60's early 70's with my Dad and best friend Matt. Very good memories at the Rockford Dragway in Byron Il. (Pic. is not from Byron).View attachment 1179906

In the late 70s my older sister dated an NHRA official. Not sure exactly what his role was but every time I visited her while she was with him we'd end up at Irwindale or OCIR and got to meet many of the drivers then current & retired. Her boyfriend would race too but not on nights he was working. He had an early 60's Plymouth and I got to passenger in it a few times down the track. That thing was mean looking, all black, dog dish hubcaps, and rattled your fillings sitting in it.

In the late 60s, when I was in high school, Grumpy Jenkins had a shop a short drive from the school. One student a year ahead of me had a job there at Grumpy's Sunoco Station, where his garage was. Many times I remember driving by the station and seeing that big Camaro funny car sticking out of the garage door. We would also stop and get gas at the station and take quick peeks into the garage. He was not fond of that and lived up to his handle, Grumpy. It was fun for a high schooler.

Don Garlits lost part of one of his feet because a clutch explosion literally cut his AA fueler in half. That led to his development work on perfecting rear engine AA/FD's in the interest of driver safety. It changed drag racing forever. Garlitsclutch-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom