Leader tape...

Quad4Life

Hello everyone,

Well, I finally purchased some leader tape, splice tape and I have an Edit All S3 on the way. I have a couple of leader tape questions for all of the experienced reel-to-reeler's to answer.

What is the typical or standard length of leader for a reel of tape? Does it differ between reel sizes?

When splicing the leader onto the tape, is a 45 degree cut required or just a cross cut (90 degree)?

Once again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Quad4Life

Hi Quad4Life,
Generally, a couple of feet of leader will do fine (maybe a little longer for 10" reels) - whatever it takes to get it threaded and the distance it takes your machine's transport to settle down after hitting PLAY.

While the diag splice was (is?) preferred for magnetic media, a butt splice should do just fine for the leader.

Truth be told, if I have a break in recorded tape, I splice by refitting the two ends without trimming away any media.

What kind of tape deck do you have?

Hello Mopic5,

Thanks for the information, it will come in handy. The Edit All S3 splice block is coming from Canada, therefore I may have to wait a week or two for its arrival. I hope it comes sooner though. When it does, I will be able to fire up the X-1000R and make its first recording in almost 20 years.

My stepfather bought the TEAC new in Germany in the early-mid '80's. He gave it to me along with a Canon AE-1 Program SLR in return for selling some items on eBay. Recently I lubed the pinch roller mechanism, installed a new belt and cleaned and demagnetized the tape path.

I love this vintage equipment, even though I am only 25. I love the build quality and the sound of my Pioneer QX-646. I'm not sure what price it was when new, but I know that none of todays audio equipment for the same price is as good. Maybe except for the new stereo receiver from Outlaw audio.

Well, I need to stop my rambling as I need to head to work in about 10 minutes.

Thanks again,

Quad4Life

Tails Out

I have a number of two track tapes and four track tapes recorded on one side only. I store these " Tails Out " ; so I rewind them to play. This reduces pre print through and gives a good wind for storage ,without damage to the tape edges. I use leader to mark the beginning of the program on the tape and I add some blank tape ahead of the leader. This allows me to rewind to the leader with out rethreading the machine. Have fun.
Don

Back
Top Bottom