Leak Sandwich 600 vs. 2060

cleverdick

I've owned a pair of Sandwich 600 for some 20 years now, and have got used to the way they sound. However, the LF-mid crossover at 1kHz seems a bit daft - right in the speech band.

I've often wondered how much of an improvement there was with the 2060 - which was its successor of broadly similar dimensions. The midrange unit is revised of course (I call it the "training shoe mid" due to its perforated white cone).

Has anyone on here owned both, or conducted any objective comparisons between the two designs?

Also, when the production run finished, there was a version sold under the budget Solavox brand which looked the same sans the sandwich LF unit. It would be interesting to know more about those, too.

Last edited:
I have the 2060 and am just about to pick up the 600's, so I will let you know.
The 2060, are just a tad bright which is why I am in the process of replacing the tweeters with a more refined 6 ohm Peerless unit which produces 87db for one watt. I think it may be a case of the tweeter being slightly more efficient that the rest of the speaker.
I will try to compare with the 600 before replacing the second tweeter.

In the Dovedale 3 which uses the same tweeter, there is an attenuation control for the mid and tweeter.

My original Leak 15 ohm two ways are good if a bit lacking in treble, although it may be down to the crossover. I have even thought about adding an external super tweeter.

Last edited:
The 2060s are very good and respond well to new crossover components to tame their somewhat unruly treble. The "training shoe" midrange was actually an incredibly advanced design for its day - the perforations help break up standing waves in the cone and thus reduce distortion. Decent though the 600s are, the 2060s would therefore get my vote.

With regard to the Solavox models, they have absolutely nothing to do with Leak other than looking remarkably like them. They are not in the same league as any of the Leak designs.

I am in the process of replacing the tweeters with a more refined 6 ohm Peerless unit which produces 87db for one watt. I think it may be a case of the tweeter being slightly more efficient that the rest of the speaker.

How did that go, and what changes, if any, did you make to the crossover?

Thanks

David

Hi I modded quite a few 600 and 2060 speajers with wonderful Focal T121T tweeters and Wilson audio tricks on the tweeters - long 1 inch plastic chambers to lower tweeter resonance and filled with wool !!

Sounded wonderful then !!

Back
Top Bottom