Leaky caps? in KT-9900(8300)

mzeitlin3348

See it and Believe
I have a Kenwood KT-9900. I noticed that the caps in the power supply section have this brown 'goop' coming out or attached to the bottom of the caps and spreading a bit onto the PC board. It almost looks like some kind of glue, but I suspect its the electrolytic fluid leaking (I just don't know since I am new at this).

Should I leave well enough alone since the tuner sounds just fine (rock steady and clean sound) or is this just an accident waiting to happen?

The caps range in size from 220 uF to 2200 uf (16 to 25 wv). Another Aker suggested increasing the cap size, but I don't know by how much.

Any suggestions?

It could very well be glue... used to hold the caps onto the circuit board during the assembly process.

Do the caps themselves look swollen, bulging, or distorted in any way? If they are a nice uniform cylindrical shape, then the glue is the more likely explanantion.

glue?

The caps look perfect. round, cylindrical, no bulges - and the sound is awesome (can't believe you can improve the 8300 with the DIY mods! so I am looking forward to that).

Perhaps it is glue, I just don't know. When I touch it, it is 'solid' it doesn't smear, or move in any way.

mzeitlin3348 said:
The caps look perfect. round, cylindrical, no bulges - and the sound is awesome (can't believe you can improve the 8300 with the DIY mods! so I am looking forward to that).

Any tuner more than 10 or 15 years old will likely sound better if it has a full recap and alignment job. As for the mods... some apparrently can have a significant effect.

I can hardly wait to get my modded KT-8300 back into service... it is patiently sitting on Punker's bench waiting for it's turn in the queue.

Definately glue. Commonly used on larger caps to hold them in place during assembly.

Won't be long now Henry.

X

Back
Top Bottom