Leben. Thinking something drastic here.

JohnVF

Lunatic Member
Ok, does anybody here have much experience with Leben? Particularly the CS-600? Thoughts? I saw one last week but didn't get to hear it. But that was LA, and now I'm back in Chicago. It was hands down the best looking piece of kit I've ever seen, and I've read that it sounds about the same as it looks...

I'm thinking something drastic here. As in, coming to grips with what I like to listen to, the fact that I live in an apartment, and the fact that that apartment looks better with less clutter. And I like the mid-century modern look of Leben gear, and the fact that's new. I have a Fisher x202 ...so I have the mid century tube integrated down. But I want something that could conceivably retire my separates, and the Fisher isn't doing that.

This would probably require me selling most of my stash, or trading it in. Doable..and not necessarily a negative. Probably would still keep the big Levinson around, though, for future living conditions...

Last edited:
There's a dealer here in Austin (Whetstone) that had one of the Leben integrateds on display with a set of the larger Harbeths. Got to put it through its paces on a lot of different music and I was thoroughly impressed. Beautifully built, and great looking if you ask me!

I totally feel your pain. Would be so nice to find something new that would perform like the old stuff without any of the aggravation!

Do it, John, do it! :thmbsp:

I'm a bad influence. I will live through you vicariously...I'm channeling now!

there is one on that site that shall not be named. it does not seem impossibly expensive, just not thrift store cheap. I took a leap of faith going from separates to a tube integrated and have not regretted that decision. I say go for it as well.

there is one on that site that shall not be named. it does not seem impossibly expensive, just not thrift store cheap. I took a leap of faith going from separates to a tube integrated and have not regretted that decision. I say go for it as well.

I'm starting to think that 'not impossibly expensive' would involve me selling my Levinson. That's a big decision for me. It makes sense..I can't even lift the Levinson by myself for any distance.

The CS-600 is interesting... but what are the alternatives?

Low-power tube stuff always worries me a little, even though the sound is often wonderful.

This isn't a criticism. Mostly, was wondering what else you've considered?

The CS-600 is interesting... but what are the alternatives?

Low-power tube stuff always worries me a little, even though the sound is often wonderful.

This isn't a criticism. Mostly, was wondering what else you've considered?

The other options are the Luxman integrateds, either tube or solid state, or keeping what I have. I want something small and simple (in execution/theory and looks) that looks as good as it sounds. There are surprisingly few modern options in that area. There are a lot of integrateds, but I don't really see any besides these that make me want to say 'yeah, I'll stop chasing audio for that...'. Like finding the perfect woman...

I would think your best choice would be to go wherever you have to to demo one. Even better if you can demo one in your system. If you like it, you still might have to build your system synergy around the Leben once you get it.
I confess that I'm intrigued also, but I do believe that reproduced sound can only get so good and how much better than good this would be is a matter for you to decide. Good = a flavor you like in your room for your music type and budget.
Leben channels that old Scott look to me, but expresses it thoughtfully and elegantly.

As far as exceeding the Fisher 202-B, have you had all the mods done?
Coupling caps = tone
Power supply caps = apparent power.

Ok, does anybody here have much experience with Leben? Particularly the CS-600? Thoughts? I saw one last week but didn't get to hear it. But that was LA, and now I'm back in Chicago. It was hands down the best looking piece of kit I've ever seen, and I've read that it sounds about the same as it looks...
OK, so right off the bat I'll tell you this post won't be much help...

I was on business in Phoenix last year and visited a shop just for kicks. The guy* was very generous with his time, and sat me in front of a pair of Audio Physics speakers and a Leben, either the CS-300 with the EL 84s or the 600 with 6L6s. It sounded marvelous, I just sat there and soaked it in. But I'll tell you, I sat there and stared at that darn amp the whole time. Weird because it's a pretty basic looking thing. I don't know if it's the color combo or what, but it's just gorgeous.
I can definately see why you want one.

* Dan Mazza, great guy but I forget the name of his shop.

I would love to hear the CS-600 with my DeVores. It's a bit out of reach for me. You'd be taking your system to a new level if you decided to go for it.

John,

Have you considered Naim? It's a pretty good asthetic and I think the combo with the Quads (if you're planning on keeping them) would be excellent. Eric has heard them together and agrees.

Erin

Vacuum tubes ah. Think I'll pass, and enjoy my current equipment a bit longer. Thought the switch knobs on the Lebens looked familiar, same as my dads Layfayette amp from the mid 70's. Stuff looks pretty home brewed, and maybe a bit careful, before laying out the cash.

Vacuum tubes ah. Think I'll pass, and enjoy my current equipment a bit longer. Thought the switch knobs on the Lebens looked familiar, same as my dads Layfayette amp from the mid 70's. Stuff looks pretty home brewed, and maybe a bit careful, before laying out the cash.

You're kidding, right?

I would love to hear the CS-600 with my DeVores. It's a bit out of reach for me. You'd be taking your system to a new level if you decided to go for it.

Leben and DeVore...very good indeed. Lot's of show coverage with that combo.

Back
Top Bottom