Leben. Thinking something drastic here.

Anybody wondering how this thing has held up for the two months or so I've had it? No? Well too bad, I'm gonna tell ya.

Since I put this in my more 'humble' system, the 'main' system has been gathering dust. I've listened to my main system maybe a few hours, and this Leben system almost every night. I can't explain it- the main system sounds as good, in a different way- it sounds good in ways you can point to, whereas the Leben system doesn't make me want to point to anything aspect of it. It just sounds musical.

The final allotment of gear is:
Marantz SA-11s2 CD/SACD player
Sony 2251 TT w/SME-3009 s2 arm.
Leben CS-300xs
Cabasse M2 Sloop loudspeakers.

Cabling is a hodge podge of whatever was laying around. Nothing special except the Nordost coming from the CD player. Speaker wires are WAY too long but whatever, sounds good. This system was about breaking the back of hi-fi obsession. Mission accomplished. I'm playing records again!

This is hands down the most fun system I've ever had. So freakin' happy with it.

carl.jpg

Kinda makes me want to put on my bad ass red jeans.

I've sat back and watched this saga with great interest. I run a Leben preamp into Icon Audio MB845 II 'Special' mono blocks. Previously the Leben was followed by a pair of Nuforce 'Reference' III mono blocks. The earlier combination was very impressive, stunning audiophools and the uneducated equally alike but I found myself consistently wearing my audiophile ears and analysing all the great things that combination did. Now with tubes (valves to those of us outside the US) after the Leben preamp, 99% of the time I just sink into the music and forget about hi-fi. OK, on occasion the combination can shock and awe but it's always in a musical way, if that makes any sense.

I've sat back and watched this saga with great interest. I run a Leben preamp into Icon Audio MB845 II 'Special' mono blocks. Previously the Leben was followed by a pair of Nuforce 'Reference' III mono blocks. The earlier combination was very impressive, stunning audiophools and the uneducated equally alike but I found myself consistently wearing my audiophile ears and analysing all the great things that combination did. Now with tubes (valves to those of us outside the US) after the Leben preamp, 99% of the time I just sink into the music and forget about hi-fi. OK, on occasion the combination can shock and awe but it's always in a musical way, if that makes any sense.

It makes total sense. I started this quest for a few reasons but one of them was to stop thinking about hi fi. I wanted to spend more time in record stores, instead of audio stores. That's largely been accomplished. It helps that I have another system, the 'audiophile' system, to fall back on. But I've not been listening to it much. I like the Leben, it sounds exactly like I want music to sound. Its the 'just right', in the 3 Bears story- and I have 3 systems.

Did that Leben preamp have a phono stage? I'm really thinking about getting the Leben phono stage next, if I make any big purchases this year.

Just curiousity: why can't the Leben drive the Quads, or do they require the larger Leben?

Ok, I admit to not trying it yet- I just know that the Quads were inadequately powered by my Fisher and Dynaco tube amps, that were more powerful than the Leben. I'm Shure they'd make noise- they just seem to like a bit more power to really open up. The bigger Leben would probably do well. The were ok on my other tube amps, but a bigger solid state amp really opened them up. I have them on a Luxman M12 right now, which isn't a big amp, but its a nice amp and they sound great on it.

Back
Top Bottom