LED Flashlights

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by soundmotor, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Acquired a Nebo Slyde last week. Adaptable as a variable intensity flashlight, lantern or safety light flasher. Heavy machined housing, even coverage theatre spotlight flashlight, USB rechargable lithium ion battery, removable magnetic base cap. Reasonably priced and very useful, it displaces my high intensity LED dual D Maglite as my fave.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. turnitdown

turnitdown Well-worn member Subscriber

Thanks mr_light. What do you think of this?
    Streamlight 88061

3. mr_light

mr_light AK Subscriber Subscriber

Streamlight are very dependable lights. Note this one doesn't appear to take any rechargeable batteries of any type...
    "Battery Type - AA Alkaline, CR123A Lithium, AA Lithium"

4. N8Nagel

N8Nagel Addicted Member

If it uses CR123As you could use 16350 LiFePO4 but those aren't exactly standard...

5. Lapis Dragon

Lapis Dragon New Member

if you buy a decent light, you shouldn't have any issues or "fuss" with battery contacts. I have not had to deal with that sort of thing since the 80's.. which is about the time I stopped buying crap lights. I beat on my lights pretty good and I have always been pleased with surefire, fenix and Olight. Fenix is by far my favorite and I pretty much stick with 2x AA or 1x cr123

6. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

A couple of the ~2008 vintage Chinese LED ones I had would work for several weeks then quit. The battery contact on the PCB would oxidize badly. I fixed this by wiping dielectric grease on it. Since ~2012 though I've not had this happen, even on the ~$2 SK68 ones. T

Please register to disable this ad.

7. soundmotor

Minor update on IKEA Ladda AA batteries. I bought a LiitoKala Engineer Lii-500 discharger/charger and tested them out. The listed capacity is 2450mA and the first (4) I checked all came in at least 100mA or more than rated. They are made in Japan so I guess I am not all that surprised that they are good. Another test gave them the thumbs up over Panasonic Eneloops at 3x the price -

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/863...ries-beat-panasonic-eneloop-pro-recycle-speed

[​IMG]

These are the previous style, avoid. They stopped holding a charge in under ~6 months -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. N8Nagel

N8Nagel Addicted Member

That charger looks like a rebranded Xtar, not a bad thing

9. soundmotor

Not sure. Bought it from the recs on a battery forum about its performance. It came down to this one or the Opus BT-C3100, another recommended one.

Was able to buy the Liito w/o wall-wart or retail packing for ~1/2 cost of the fully loaded one. Got it within 8 days from China, about the fastest I've seen.

10. mhedges

mhedges Super Member

I have a LED Lenser flashlight I use. It takes 3AAA batteries. Very bright, and a nice quality to the light when compared to the cheaper lights.