LED headlights for garden tractor

ghazzer

I just replaced the OEM headlights on my Cub Cadet 1500GT tractor with a pair of 12W LED floods. I'll post pics and comments if anyone is interested.

This is the front grill -
1-.jpg

Opened it up and removed the OEM bulbs -
2-.jpg

Got these lights on fleabay -
3-.jpg

Mounted them to the plastic grill -
4-.jpg

Continued in next post

Used 5mm luan to back them up, stiffer than the plastic -
Added crimped connectors to mate with the tractors wiring harness -
5-.jpg

6-.jpg

Now I need to add an ON/OFF switch and try them out.

That would be a great way to create a movable light source for outside activities....plus if you call 911, you could point the tractor at the street for emergency vehicles to identify your property. Something we older guys never think of....

do you cut grass at night?

Only when I don't get started early enough to finish before dark, or when It is too damn hot during the day.

Besides, Maryland state law requires headlights to be on when your windshield wipers are on.

Well Hell, this didn't work out very well. The right one quit after a couple of weeks, then the left one is growing dim. Guess I'll have to remove them and check them out on the bench.

[QUOTE="ghazzer, post: 10878991, member: 88963"

View attachment 1009701

That grill, I know I've seen it before...

2j3ibdx.jpg

do you cut grass at night?

Not to forget - the days grow short that part of the world come winter ... be handy with a snow thrower.

That said, I just mounted a couple Schwinn bicycle headlights to mine. Those will throw a nice bright wide beam and good batteries will last quite some time.

Yes, nice to have a few extra lumens when you do happen to have them.

These quit working after a while, first one and a couple of weeks later the other. By then it was cold enough that the grass wasn't growing much and I haven't popped the hood to see why the quit. Still need to winterize it so I'll check the wires and maybe pull one for a checkout on the bench.

The long range forecasts look like you'll be using you snow thrower more than usual on the peninsula.

Back
Top Bottom