Led Zeppelin 2 sound quality question

Well I am a little late to this thread haha. But- - I am in need of some help/feedback. I recently purchased a US copy of "II" for $15 at a flea market. Not sure if it's the first US press or a Reissue. Pretty sure it was pressed in '69 though. Was quite impressed with the condition of the vinyl when I first saw it. You just don't find Zep records in decent shape without paying an arm or a leg. But I am completely disappointed in the sound quality. Way too much bass and distortion and just sounds horrible. I have a mid 70's Kenwood table with a brand new Ortofon 2M Red cart that plays through a Marantz 2275. The rest of my Zep records sound great. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

Well I am a little late to this thread haha. But- - I am in need of some help/feedback. I recently purchased a US copy of "II" for $15 at a flea market. Not sure if it's the first US press or a Reissue. Pretty sure it was pressed in '69 though. Was quite impressed with the condition of the vinyl when I first saw it. You just don't find Zep records in decent shape without paying an arm or a leg. But I am completely disappointed in the sound quality. Way too much bass and distortion and just sounds horrible. I have a mid 70's Kenwood table with a brand new Ortofon 2M Red cart that plays through a Marantz 2275. The rest of my Zep records sound great. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

Does it have RL in the deadwax area? If so I would take it off your hands.

RL on BOTH sides is an original 1st pressing. I have one and never had problem with tracking since I used a Shure cartridge. I prefer my MOFI copy which now has been replaced with my original Classic Records re
pressings.

Man I thought is was just me. I have always had a problem with LZ II. The bottom end distortion is very frustrating to me, especially with headphones on! And I think the older I get the more unlistenable this lp has become for me. It does not matter if it is on vinyl, CD or a hi def file, it sounds blown out to my ears. Some people love the way it sounds. I sure wish I was one of them because there is some great stuff on there!

The 2004 Japanese remastered CDs of the Led Zep catalog are very good... great dynamic range and about as clean and clear as is possible.

That being said, Led Zep II has some distorted kick drum and bass during the louder sections on some tracks that is in the original studio master tapes - just the way it was recorded. Definitely not an audiophile quality effort, LOL

cover.jpg

You might also try the HDtracks 24-96 high resolution releases of the Zeppelin catalog... they sound even better than the Japanese CDs - but Zep II still has some distortion, can't be helped

LZII - Alt sleeve.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I’m definitely gonna find a different copy when I get a chance. May try one of those you mention. I’ve also heard good things about the classic records 180g reissue.

It does not matter if it is on vinyl, CD or a hi def file, it sounds blown out to my ears.

Now see, I have a CD that sounds phenomenal. Especially in the HK audio system in my BMW. That’s sort of what made me realize how bad my vinyl copy sounds. The CD is night and day compared to my record.

The 2004 Japanese remastered CDs of the Led Zep catalog are very good... great dynamic range and about as clean and clear as is possible.

That being said, Led Zep II has some distorted kick drum and bass during the louder sections on some tracks that is in the original studio master tapes - just the way it was recorded. Definitely not an audiophile quality effort, LOL

View attachment 1144349

You might also try the HDtracks 24-96 high resolution releases of the Zeppelin catalog... they sound even better than the Japanese CDs - but Zep II still has some distortion, can't be helped

View attachment 1144353

While I do not have that particular press of LZ II, I do own it's brother presses of Led Zeppelin IV (2003) {Atlantic WPCR-11614} and Houses Of The Holy (2003) {Atlantic WPCR-11615} which where very nicely remastered by JP and George Marino. And yes I do agree the JP did a nice job on the recent reissues of the catalog. They do sound about as good as can be expected. I do own the Super Deluxe Goodness Oh My God Expensiveness Box for them all with the exception of LZ III. So I have vinyl, CD and flac files on the entire original catalog. I own 2 CD presses of Led Zeppelin II (1987) {Atlantic 19127-2} and Led Zeppelin II (2014) {Atlantic R2-536129} (that is probably the box set catalog number). But the best copy I have is a reel to reel rip I acquired from a buddy of mine while we were trading Pink Floyd boots... Led Zeppelin II (1969) {Atlantic X 8236}. It is very dynamic and very quiet. My go to when I do want to listen to LZ II.

You guys got it all wrong.

This is the only way to listen to Led Zeppelin...
Echo / check!
Live distortion / check!
Enough weed smoke to choke a Clydesdale / check!
Yes, I contributed to that choking Clydesdale!

IMG_1306.JPG

My only regret at the time (no regrets now, hell, I want the clock to go backwards now!) was I wasn't old enough at the time to see them around 1972.

Back
Top Bottom