1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Led Zeppelin I - The Greatest Debut Album Of All Time?

Discussion in 'Music Reviews' started by darrenman, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. darrenman

darrenman New Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. darrenman

darrenman New Member

His commentary actually morphs into discussion of 'greatest debut album of all time' and 'bands who did their best work over the age of 30'.

3. Man in Cave

Man in Cave The Tube Dreamer Is Awake Subscriber

The first part during Led Zeppelin I rocks. Thanks for posting.

S.J.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  4. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Dazed and Confused being my favorite 70's song this guy hits on so many points. I can't think of another debut that touches this one. I really enjoy the bluesy songs on the album. Definitely my fav Led album by far.

botrytis and BLAH BLAH like this.
  5. Estring

Estring Shepherd

The Pretenders first album, My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello and Marshall Crenshaw's debut were all great first albums.

I actually like Led Zep II better than their debut. Their debut was pretty good though, especially considering they didn't have a lot of time to record it. There is a big mistake on "I Can't Quit You" that I assume they didn't have time to fix.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    safebet, botrytis and Mr. Soundman like this.
  6. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Wouldn't be my pick.

NeedForSpeed and botrytis like this.

7. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

There are so many considerations, the main one for me being the music scene when the album came out. Were they breaking new ground where no group had gone before? The problem with the late 60s-early 70s is that there was a very fertile music climate at that time that encouraged experimentation and the fusion of different genres.

There were quite a few groups I heard back then that had excellent first efforts that dropped your jaw. Many great groups that were buried under the sheer volume of new music that came out every week. Taking the almost impossible task of being objective about the whole thing, the two groups that impressed me the most when I first heard them were Led Zeppelin and The Doors. But that was my time period with all it's influences.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Tim1131 and bluestime like this.
  8. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

maybe the greatest if you like that style. Dire Straits first for me.

ranch 22b likes this.
  9. Estring

Estring Shepherd

I do feel that Led Zeps first album was a ground breaking album in many ways, and should be in the conversation about best debuts. After hearing their second album though, you really got to hear their vision realized as opposed to being hinted at and rushed.

Jimi Hendrix- Are You Experienced and Cream- Fresh Cream are two more great debuts.
    As for newer music, Alabama Shakes first album is amazing.

BLAH BLAH and bobsvinyl like this.
  10. SPL db

SPL db It's all about the music! Subscriber

I don't know about being called the greatest, but Boston's debut album was the fastest selling debut album for any American group.

Reception

The album soared, with three singles becoming Top 40 hits. All eight of the songs on the album still receive regular airplay on classic rock radio to this day, across the country. Taking a mere three weeks to earn an RIAA Gold Record Award (500,000 in unit sales) in 1976, and a Platinum Award (1,000,000 in unit sales) after three months on November 11, 1976, it was the fastest selling debut album for any American group. It has continued to sell very well, accumulating 9 million in sales by the 10th anniversary in 1986, reaching diamond in 1990, and 17x platinum by 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_(album)

holyman772, zebra03 and Tim1131 like this.
  11. bshorey

bshorey Super Member

My personal favorite debut album would be Aerosmith. I thought the previously mentioned Boston debut album was pretty good as well (so good that they pretty much copied it and changed the words for their second album!).

bs

12. quigz1968

quigz1968 Active Member

"Of all time" is a real lofty claim! However, Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time, so.......ok :)

RockFanatic and BLAH BLAH like this.
  13. darrenman

darrenman New Member

I think Van Halen I deserves consideration for how it presented a new sound and influenced other bands to emulate.

14. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

For rock, Van Halen comes to mind.
    Otherwise, Ricky Lee Jones particularly, and Kate Bush.
    Those popped up first in my mind, I'm sure I could think of many more.

15. bluestime

bluestime AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just listened to this album (LZ1) and I think it's fantastic. Best of all time-maybe

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  16. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Not for me.

17. Tonyqt

Tonyqt Active Member

Loving horns. I found that Chicago's first release. When they were Chicago Transit Authority to be high on my list.

safebet, BLAH BLAH, cnolanh and 4 others like this.
  18. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

I'd choose the debut LPs by Television, Velvet Undereground, The Doors, and The Ramones over LZ.1, and that's just getting started. Then there are the debut LPs of Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Magic Sam, and buncha other Bluesmen to consider (and prefer).

MAC TED and KeninDC like this.
  19. NEvinyl

NEvinyl Member

I'd throw in the Cars. First album had great songs like "just what I needed" and "my best friends girlfriend" yeah yeah yeah....

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    prisoners likes this.
  20. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Desert Rat Subscriber

Not for me it was too late.

My choices would be . . Fresh Cream, Are You Experienced and Court of the Crimson King in that order & timeline.

BLAH BLAH likes this.