Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy remasters

I got the HoTH super deluxe box set today from Amazon.UK. It is the Optimal Germany pressing and I can confirm Ocean does not have distortion (as has been reported exists on the Pallas Germany pressing that the US gets).

Man what a phenomenal sounding album! The vinyl is dead quiet and much more detail than I remember. I now have the all the super deluxe box sets :yes:

Dammit. Got the Pallas version with the f'ed up pressing. Up to 'The Ocean' it sounds pretty good (heck, side one sounds *fantastic*), but then it shits itself. Return time. :sigh:

-D

p.s. and yes, I realize in the greater scheme of things, this more than qualifies as a 'first world problem'

Last edited:
I listened to the remasters of Led Zeppelin's fourth album and Houses of the Holy this morning. They sound absolutely phenomenal!

There is so much more "space" around each of the instruments. All the guitar tracks are clearly audible and the bass is much less muddy. The extras are much better than the first three remasters, especially the alternative vocal take of Rock and Roll, the remix of Black Dog, the "guitar-tracks-turned-way-up-no-vocals" versions of The Song Remains the Same and Over the Hills and Far Away, the instrumental mixes of The Battle of Evermore and No Quarter and especially The Rain Song without the piano track, it's much better than the one on the album!

If you are a Led Zeppelin fan you owe it to yourself to get a version of these new releases! They are available on vinyl, CD, and as MP3 or 24/96 downloads, with or without the second disc's worth of extras, and in many combinations there of!

Thinking of picking up the box set from urban outfitters, I think it was only like $50 or so for like 8 albums or so. One of the best priced box sets ive seen, and all the hits of course.

Silver Platters took the flawed HOTH back without question (hurrah for great record stores who stand behind their product!). I picked up III and IV while I was there, as well as Unknown Pleasures (Joy Division). The Optimal pressing from EU is on the slow boat from Amazon UK (since Silver Platters can't get it).

-D

Has anyone done a head to head of Led Zep 3, classic 200 gram pressing to the new issue?

There's a reason the Classic 200g pressings sell for what they do. While I haven't compared it to the new release, I see no reason why to go buy a new one, as the 200g sounds fantastic to my ears.

Silver Platters took the flawed HOTH back without question (hurrah for great record stores who stand behind their product!). I picked up III and IV while I was there, as well as Unknown Pleasures (Joy Division). The Optimal pressing from EU is on the slow boat from Amazon UK (since Silver Platters can't get it).

-D

Except for HOTH (got from the UK) I bought all my box sets from Silver Platters. I try to support them as much as possible. Great store to deal with and their prices are as best they can to do to compete with web base sources.

Room for the next few...

IMG_0753net_zps4021bb23.jpg

Karmices,my classic is staying with me. Just thinking if the new pressing are close to mine, Zep and the record Co. really have a winner on their hands.

I have seven of them, but not IV. I and II are improvements overall, but I think the actual recordings were less than stellar so, while the remasters are better, I still don't think they are great.

Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence are very good. To be honest, I grew up with III, IV and Houses of the Holy and I listened to Houses of the Holy an awful lot and this newest remaster makes it sound better than I thought possible.

I now have the LZ I and LZ IV on the new remasters and they are flippin' awesome!! I have a pre-order of the Physical Graffiti on 3-LP Deluxe Edition...:banana::banana::banana: comes out near end of Feb almost 40 years to the day (just one day out) that's pretty cool. :yes:

I'm looking forward to the release of the PG album too.
I bought remastered LZ IV DEV first, mainly because it was the only LP I did not ever buy.
Needless to say, after hearing that recording, I went ahead and bought the rest of the available deluxe edition albums. :music:
And made sure I got HOTH from Amazon UK too. ;)

I'm looking forward to the release of the PG album too.
I bought remastered LZ IV DEV first, mainly because it was the only LP I did not ever buy.
Needless to say, after hearing that recording, I went ahead and bought the rest of the available deluxe edition albums. :music:
And made sure I got HOTH from Amazon UK too. ;)

Same here, I have bought them all including HOTH from the UK. Probably wait to hear confirmation that PG is good and it will soon join the others...

^^^ Although I have not heard it myself, the US releases (Pallas pressing) is said to have a defect on Ocean. Optimal pressing out of the UK seems to be fine. ^^^

I gotta say those box sets look super nice. :drool:
Definitely collectable.:thmbsp:

On the HOTH, I bought the UK sold pressing going by what I had read about the US version. UK record sounds fine.

I don't own many box sets but I could not resist these. Led Zeppelin is a special band to me. Unfortunatly, they are consuming almost all of my audio budget...

I don't own many box sets but I could not resist these. Led Zeppelin is a special band to me. Unfortunatly, they are consuming almost all of my audio budget...

Money well spent I would say :yes: and I agree whole-heartedly that they are one special band worthy of such devotion, I too am an avid collector of LZ, nice box set. :thmbsp:

my audio budget...
Not be appear rude but may I ask what is an audio budget? I would love to be able to have they sound good....I have tried to restrict myself to one new vinyl and one (or 2) old vinyl per month.....it's not working :no:

Not be appear rude but may I ask what is an audio budget? I would love to be able to have they sound good....I have tried to restrict myself to one new vinyl and one (or 2) old vinyl per month.....it's not working :no:

I try to hold it to about $50 a month for music. I think on average I come close to that...

I try to hold it to about $50 a month for music. I think on average I come close to that...

That's about what I try to stick around its gonna be a blow out this month with LZ's release of PG even though I managed to scôre 20% off it and as I'm getting the Deluxe Edition on 3-LP gonna cost me 48 bucks with free delivery too.:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom