Led Zeppelin new vinyl remasters

nielsoe

Yes a lot of us had hoped these would be mastered from the analog tapes, turns out they were not. But still, do they sound any good? Too much compression? Too clinical? Anyone had time to take a good listen?

Yes... Somebudday plaise tail us hau thay R..

Maybe this lack of opinions is the bad sign we were hoping not to be born under...

But then again, .... maybe not.

Last edited:
Check out stevehoffman.tv/forums

There is a ton of information.

Pretty positive I believe.

I picked up copies of I & II. Gave I a good, critical listen earlier this afternoon. It sounds great. I did not hear observable compression until I got to side 2 listening to Black Mountain Side. Only place it was notably not great.

Gave LZ II a spin, only discernable compression I found was on louder passages of softer songs, The Lemon Song and Thank You. Believe those particular passages sounded to 'peg the meters' a bit on every pressing of LZ II I've heard.

My old copy of LZ I was early, but clearly worn out, so LZ I is an easy thumbs up. I prefer this new vinyl LZ II to the RL, not sure I prefer it to the MFSL pressing though.

I grew up learning to play guitar to both of these albums and I find both LZ I & II vinyl pressings quite listenable. The only way in which I can discern that they are digitally sourced pressings is in the reproduction of cymbals.

Last edited:
zep

I purchased all 3 deluxe vinyl editions and must say im impressed. you can actually hear john paul jones bass on these. the records were flat 180gm and best of all dead silent. ive owned all incantations of these from petco to the rl,s and these will stand up with any of them. the companion discs are a great bonus also as you get some rough cuts of songs and you get a feel of where they were going with them. after buying mothership with its compression and brickwalling I was hesitant, these sound good, 2 thumbs up.

Loving my copy of LZ I. No audio complaints, other than that the dynamic range could be a little wider. Sure sounds wonderful, though. I am not bothered by the high-res digital mastering, since the final product matters much more than the means of getting there. This record is well-made in every way.

Loving my copy of LZ I. No audio complaints, other than that the dynamic range could be a little wider. Sure sounds wonderful, though. I am not bothered by the high-res digital mastering, since the final product matters much more than the means of getting there. This record is well-made in every way.

This is good news. I don't mind DSD-mastering either if it's done well. I was initially anti-DSD, but the ABKCO "Let It Bleed" turned me around (Using the same old-school cart on my Dual 1019, that DSD beats my original US London 1st-pressing quite-handily... Clearer, smoother, and more-dynamic, plus it doesn't even lack warmth on my setup). If the Zep LP's are in that kind of league, then I'm in. I do have a line on a few original Zep LP's like I & II and several others, but I would still like to try these new ones. I'm already excited about the mono Beatles LP's, which are supposed to be ALL-ANALOG. I am stoked about this year's crop of new vinyl.

I'm also quite-fond of my Universal/Japan "461 Ocean Blvd" 200g LP, which is also DSD-mastered. I have an original RSO, and the U/J is still my go-to copy.

Me too I have both one and two and they sound really good, a bit louder than the original pressing but really clear

I'm very happy ... picked up I, II and III in the standard LP. I liked the results so well I went nuts and picked up the super deluxe box sets. For the next two, I'm going straight for the super deluxe box sets. I did and A/B test with the last remastered box set Jimmy did back in 93. The albums were more lively and had better dynamics on my system. I sent my Rega out for a new cartridge fitting this week (Sumiko Blackbird) and Zep I will be the first LP played.

I am expecting great things! If this is what digitally remastering tapes can do, then I say keep em coming. Maybe not the "full analog" Fremer would like to see but his review of the first three Zep LPs on analog planet ---- way off in my opinion.

Have the first 3 installments, Sound really nice, Page did a great job. Preordered the next 2, My 2 favorite Zep LP's. Of course, Can't wait. It's killing me.

Wow someone said the II is better than the rl first press ( the usual ref).
I have a first press japan that I like fine but have to check out the new versio

LED ZEP I, II, II & IV plus HOTH.
All on EU reissues.
Absolutely no complaints here.
Quiet pressings and stunning sonics.
Loving them!
:trebon:

Back
Top Bottom