LED's on G-7000

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by ranukic, Jul 12, 2017.

1. ranukic

ranukic Active Member

Hey,

I am upgrading my Sansui with LED bulbs. I also am adding a light to the right end of the tuner glass to provide a brighter display. Tonight I was digging deeper into the front panel and cleaning off 38 years of collecting dust and I noticed the right end of the glass tuner has a white paint on it. I imagine this was put there to reflect the light back. I will need to remove this paint and I am wondering if anyone has ever taken on this task before? It almost looks like it will peel up with the help of a razor...? Here is a picture of what I am looking at.

Thanks,
    James

2017-07-12 20.30.10.jpg

2. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

It's more likely to be acrylic than glass. Some models edge light the acrylic others light it from the top or bottom. I've never noticed that edge painting before but I've never been in a G-7 before either. Acrylic is very easy to work with and very forgiving. Simply wet sand it with progressively finer sandpaper ending in polishing compound. Start with 400 grit.

If you want more light use more powerful LED in place of the existing bulbs.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

3. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Hi James,
    I'd say leave it as it is.
    I modded my G-7500 to use LED's (regular white 5mm LED's with a high blue colour content, your choice however). The stock dial scale light is only from the left side. I used two white LED's, one on top of the other one. Re-used the rubber holder and IIRC, used some hot melt glue to hold into place. I an ran them off a regulated supply, such as the 13V for the tuner and a series dropping R to set the current at around 10mA. It works just fine IMO. If you point the LED's into the acrylic scale, it lights up very evenly as you can see. Sorry for the poor pic quality.
    For the meters, I made up a small proto ckt brd, mounted with 2 sided tape and some hot melt glue to hold on the back of the meters (used two LEDS'/ meter) . Removed the original lamp holder brackets/diffusers. I positioned the meter LED's so that they are pointing straight to the metal work, they were way to bright otherwise. I could improve the meter lamps as you can see by using some sort of diffuser. But for now it is fine for me.
    P.S. I got a few hundred of these LED's, given to me for free, if you want any, PM me.
    Rick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  4. ranukic

ranukic Active Member

Thanks LBPete & rcs16,

I will hold off on making any modification to the acrylic until after I test the bulbs I ordered. Thanks for the offer Rick but I had ordered some LED's from David Wajnarowski per another persons recommendation. I should have them Saturday along with a couple replacement switches. I pick up some Advent Large speakers and Infinity Monitor Jrs this weekend. So the system is almost complete. I can imagine it will be time to start eyeing an upgrade for one of the components .

Thanks again,
    James

5. ranukic

ranukic Active Member

I took some pictures of my amp with different LED's tonight. My daughter and I agree that the light blue LED display looks the best.

I was really leaning towards an all green display but it was actually a little too bright. Also the green on the tuner dial drowned out the Sansui name and made the other numbers and words on the dial hard to read from a distance.
    The red was too dim and didn't completely fill the dials in the furthest corners from the LED. The red also did not look good on the tuner dial.

I like the bright white LED look but felt it was too close to the normal display.

I will post a final assembled picture sometime tomorrow. We are in the midst of a thunderstorm so I have my system unplugged for the night.

Thanks,
    James

Below the pictures are:
    1, all blue
    2, blue-bright white-green
    3, blue-green-bright white
    4, blue-green-red
    5, red-green-blue
    6, red-blue-green
    7, bright white-blue-green

IMG_3576.JPG IMG_3575.JPG IMG_3574.JPG IMG_3573.JPG IMG_3572.JPG IMG_3571.JPG IMG_3570.JPG

6. ranukic

ranukic Active Member

Here is the final. IMG_3577.JPG

7. lbcgav

lbcgav AK Subscriber Subscriber

I personally think these G-series Sansuis look best with the slight yellow tinge of incandescents.

8. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for sharing the different color choices, that is quite a bit of fiddling around for community viewing sir, enjoyed comparing the results :)
    Wonder how yellow led's would look?
    -Lee

ranukic likes this.
  9. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Thanks for all your great work James, the final selection looks pretty good IMO.
    Enjoy
    Rick

ranukic likes this.