LEDs or incandescent lamps, which do you use in your vintage gear?

LEDs or incandescent lamps, which do you use in your vintage gear?

• LEDs only

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Incandescent lamps only

Votes: 61 38.4%
  • Primarily LEDs / incandescent lamps occasionally

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • Primarily incandescent lamps / LEDs occasionally

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • 50/50 LED/incandescent

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • I don’t have any vintage gear to re-lamp

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
I just replaced the lamps in a Marantz receiver. I bought incandescent fuse lamps for the dial, because the LEDs are a different color.

But I bought red LEDs for the stereo indicator. Unfortunately the LEDs are longer than the originals and make "hot spots" on the indicator, even though there is a diffuser. The color is fine, though.

What do you think of a kit like this??

I dont mean to diminish the thread, if this isnt appropo: but what about a kit like the ones on epay that have like 100 LEDs and 200 resistors for 30 bucks, do think that would be a good starter kit??

Wow old thread!! I personally like led for the less heat factor plus knowing the lights will not burn out for quite a long period of time

I have a trio kt 3300 with led bulb's but will be changing back to original ! original owner taped the original's on the back so when i get a chance i will change back..

imo' led bulb's lack warmth.

incandescent add atmosphere.

maybe its just me lol.

It was Christmas time so I put some of these EiKO LED's (in white, green and red):
LED-120-MB-R_zpsda502b23.jpg

In my Scott 333A:
20100815-5220HHScott333AIboughtdarkshotswithLEDsinthepanel3-1.jpg

I haven't been leaving them in, however. :no:

The LED's are available in 12v, 24v and 120v types and appear to work just fine on AC. I used the 24v ones so they wouldn't be too bright.

Original incandescent if there is no reason to change. My Pioneer SX1010 was notorious to ruin the dimmer switch with the original lamps because their current was higher than what the switch was rated for. I switched to LEDS.

I recently worked on a Marantz 2216B and I switched everything to LED's. The plastic for the housings, surrounding the lamps, was like eggshells so I didn't ever want to do it again.

I do like things original, and I needed to replace some function and panel lamps in my Pioneer SX1250.
I wanted a way to give the panel lamps a blue hue. First I tried coloring the clear bulbs, but they were to dark. I tried using 5mm pre-wired Ultra Bright LEDS pointing at the acrylic waterfall, but they did not produce even lighting. I ordered some Blue mini-wedge LEDS from E-bay, but they are too dark also, so I am using both. It is still a work in progress.

Currently do not have any gear that needs re-lamping, but when I do get some, I'm gonna use some nice green LED's.

I used the warm white LED fuse lamps in my Marantz 4230. I made replacement LED lamps (since none were available) for the indicators. Some were burned out and I really didn't want to do the job again. Initially I tried the blue LEDs for the dial, didn't really like the look and I went to warm white. Really couldn't see any difference from the originals.

Since the lamps in my Fisher 400 were still working I left them alone. If/when they burn out I'll probably replace them with the warm LED version.

LEDs run cooler, consume less current, last longer and should match the original color if you select the correct ones. While I love the vintage gear, sometimes the newer parts has it's advantages.

FWIW I used aqua colored LEDs in my 1978 Dodge Magnum (I've owned it since new) instrument panel trying to match the original color. The new aqua colored LEDs I used are pretty close to the original color, are dimmable, use less current and should not require replacement in my lifetime. The original lamps were covered with a plastic 'filter' to alter the color. The instrument panel display was really lacking brightness at night.

STEREOS:
Have gone to white LEDs for Marantz dials, and still incandescent for indicators. Like the obvious advantages to LEDs of longer life, cooler running, and in cases lighting is better. Don't care for the blue ones.
The LEDs for indicators are not in great supply at decent prices. I use lots of them, so need to watch costs, so use incandescent a lot.

HOME:
Using more LEDs at home for different applications...kind of experimenting.

CAR: May get some LEDS for rear tail lights on my 55

Really torn here and I think it depends on the specific piece of gear. LEDs are superior as a light due to reasons given above, but for a significant piece I'd keep it as original as possible. If I did a conversion on anything TOTL I'd at least make sure it could be restored to the original state.

Back
Top Bottom