Leestereo's Restoration/Upgrade of a Sansui AU-555A

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Leestereo, Mar 30, 2018.

1. playittwice

playittwice Well-Known Member

As stated earlier, beautiful job and awesome write-up. It’s awe-inspiring and gives much motivation to re-store these fine pieces of vintage gear.

Thanks.

BLAH BLAH and Hyperion like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. The Fuxtor

The Fuxtor AK Subscriber Subscriber

Incredible write up..... Amazing job

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  3. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

Nice, great to see you solved this. I had a 6500 and after replacing all caps and some electros with poly types, and even after putting in some newer low-noise transistors, I still couldnt address this in my unit.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  4. patfont

patfont AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ben as usual your work sets the standard, beautiful work. And doing this myself I can see the care you take even in component installation, all board fitted and sitting pretty.

Question: When I do 555/505's I replace all the transistors on the amp board not just if it has the UFO's-it lowers the noise floor. When I do this I need to up the bias trimmer to 2K ohm. So the 850 Ohm would not be a match for me, can't see if you replaced all your transistors from the pic?

5. Leestereo

Leestereo Super Member

For this 555A, on the main amplifier board, only the failure-prone 2SA726 transistors (TR801/TR802) were replaced. If you implement the mod, I think that with a 2kohm trimmer installed, you can keep the stock 1.2kohm resistors.

patfont likes this.
  6. patfont

patfont AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, sounds about right, because they just miss with the 1K trimmers.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

Leestereo - your restorations will be visited for a very long time. As the next generation(s) restore these audio pieces - it is your documentation that will be considered one of the best sources :beerchug:

8. afroaudio

afroaudio Active Member

Awesome documentation here Leestereo! To be referenced for years to come as stereofun said.. very keen to try the Baxandall mod, the 555A is voiced beautifully but tightening up that woolly bass will make it even better! thanks for the dedication

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    patfont likes this.