left channel distortion

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Markojb, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Markojb

Markojb New Member

Yes, that where I always start :)

2. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

2240: The main in/pre out jacks have internal contacts that uncouple the amp and preamp when an RCA plug is inserted. Try installing some RCA cables between the MAIN IN and PRE OUT jacks.

(No idea why PRE OUT is labelled REMOTE on the schematic.)

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.33.44 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Markojb

Markojb New Member

Hey Willy, tried that and get no soumd. In fact I am not getting any sound now where as a few weeks ago i was gettimg distorted sound. Plugging the ipod back into the main ins and all is well. I have no tried to replace the speaker relay in this unit.....should I as to rule this out?

4. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

If all is well with the iPod plugged in to the MAIN IN, then the relay is fine. The relay is AFTER the amplifier in the signal chain.

We need to "divide and conquer". Between the AUX IN - there is either a switching problem or a TONE AMP board problem.

JE01 and JE02 (one is left and one is right) on the tone board are fed off the volume control wiper. (JE03 is signal ground)

We need to confirm that signal is getting from the AUX jack all the way through to JE01 and JE02. Easy with a scope. Without a scope, if you play a steady tone such as a 60hZ sine wave into the AUX input, and measure the AC voltage at this input - let's say it's 1 volt or so. You should be able to measure that same 1 volt at JE01 and JE02 with the volume all the way up.

You should also see that 1 volt decrease as you lower the volume control.

Do this with the unit powered OFF.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017