Left Channel of Onkyo tx-904 Tuner Not Working

camerakid

Hi! I have an Onkyo tx-904 tuner that I got from Craigslist for $40, and I noticed just today that the left channel only works when you turn the volume up to around 20-25, which is pretty loud. I have the balance in the middle, and everything set properly. Anyone have a solution to this?

Clean or replace the relays.

I replaced the relays in the TX-904 I had. Then I figured out how to clean them and did that to both an M-501 amp and TX-906 to great effect. The 906 is switched on/off 20 times a week for the past 18 months and those original cleaned relays are working just fine.

This is of course for a unit that has no output in one channel, all sources, and once a volume level is reached the channel will come back. May or may not drop out again while on but will drop out next time the unit is cycled off.

Black relays, top comes off, move the teeth out of the metal tabs carefully, flip the teeth unit back out of the way and then clean the contacts.
I used a thin piece of 600 or higher grit sandpaper and ran it through a couple few times. Blew out the whatever a few times and checked it, buttoned it back up and enjoyed the results of my labor.

This might be better seen in Solid State as the TX-904 is a receiver with a tuner (am-fm only units) built in. But if this fixes it for you all the better.

I replaced the relays in the TX-904 I had. Then I figured out how to clean them and did that to both an M-501 amp and TX-906 to great effect. The 906 is switched on/off 20 times a week for the past 18 months and those original cleaned relays are working just fine.

This is of course for a unit that has no output in one channel, all sources, and once a volume level is reached the channel will come back. May or may not drop out again while on but will drop out next time the unit is cycled off.

Black relays, top comes off, move the teeth out of the metal tabs carefully, flip the teeth unit back out of the way and then clean the contacts.
I used a thin piece of 600 or higher grit sandpaper and ran it through a couple few times. Blew out the whatever a few times and checked it, buttoned it back up and enjoyed the results of my labor.
Thanks :) maybe I'll try cleaning the relays. And is the place where the relays are supposed to get warm? Just a newbie question, lol :banana:

Not really. They are not too close to the heat sinks. But in the 904 there are a lot of them. I cleaned em all, replaced a number. You should try and find the SM on line and identify the ones for the speaker outputs. Might be the ones under the board toward the back but it has been a while since I was in that unit. If you are not comfortable opening up the unit, get someone to do it for you. There are no user serviceable parts inside. Don't forget to unplug the unit.

Not really. They are not too close to the heat sinks. But in the 904 there are a lot of them. I cleaned em all, replaced a number. You should try and find the SM on line and identify the ones for the speaker outputs. Might be the ones under the board toward the back but it has been a while since I was in that unit. If you are not comfortable opening up the unit, get someone to do it for you. There are no user serviceable parts inside. Don't forget to unplug the unit.
Maybe I'll get someone to do it for me, since I have barely any experience in this stuff. I will maybe get them to check out the remote channel, as that is acting weird too.

And also, do you have any answer to why the volume control does not work when the speaker selector is set at Remote? It's like it's set to one preset volume.

I believe the TX-904 and 906 require the remote to adjust the volume on the second set of speakers as they are on a different smaller amplifier and can play a different source.

I believe the TX-904 and 906 require the remote to adjust the volume on the second set of speakers as they are on a different smaller amplifier and can play a different source.
oh... ok thanks so much :jump: Do you know where i can buy the remote?

Last edited:
Rumor has it that the universal remotes will work. I know all the Onkyo gear I have had responded to all the different remotes. You can search the bay but those get kinda high. If I needed a remote I would have bought the 904 that was on CL recently for 30-50 bucks with the remote. Buy remote get spare unit for free. Good luck.

Rumor has it that the universal remotes will work. I know all the Onkyo gear I have had responded to all the different remotes. You can search the bay but those get kinda high. If I needed a remote I would have bought the 904 that was on CL recently for 30-50 bucks with the remote. Buy remote get spare unit for free. Good luck.
Thanks =D I'll look around Amazon and Ebay for a universal remote. Thanks again for all your help :)

Not to bother you (that much), but can I bridge the TX-904?

Not without a lot of knowledge about what that is and and inverting unit and then I don't now if it will work as I don't have all that knowledge. I don't know of a receiver that is bridgeable, this being mostly for power amps.

Back
Top Bottom