~~!!Legit Trojan Warning!!~~

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
Since a lot of us ship UPS I thought I'd warn ya'll about a new Trojan making the rounds. I've gotten one, and others at my office have too. seems our domain address is on someone's list..

Anyway, It appears like it is from USP, with the logo. It has a zip file attached, Here is the Subject line and it starts:

United Parcel Service Delivery Alert #1085020

Dear customer.

Notice the C isn't capped..

It says that a delivery can't be made sent on the 25th of Feb.

Just delete it and don't open it... Never click on an unknown attachment...

Always good advice to not click on something unknown or unexpected. Also, I'd like to think most of us know if we're expecting something by UPS, et al. and, if not, be doubly suspicious.

I ship and recieve a lot at work, but I also knew that UPS didn't have my e-mail address.. but just reading the text was also a big give away.. Not capping the C was a glaring mistake.. PLUS, why would they zip a form for you to fill out and return?

I'm sure most here know better.. BUT.. some people just keep on stumbling through life and wonder why..

It's amazing and just mind boggling that some computer nerd actually gets off by spending hours writing code to give others grief. I just can't see what pleasure they get from doing this? While some may be written by juveniles who don't know any better, I'd be willing to bet most are written by those who are over the age of 18 and who DO know better.

I'm just glad that I use Macs and that there are very very few viruses for Mac because of the small market share of Mac users. It's almost a non-issue and I haven't used any type of virus software in the past 10 years. Once or twice a year, I'll check using an online scan service. However, on my PC it's an absolute requirement to have some form of virus/malware/spyware checker doing constant background checks.

It's amazing and just mind boggling that some computer nerd actually gets off by spending hours writing code to give others grief. I just can't see what pleasure they get from doing this?

Most of this stuff isn't done to be malicious, but because of monitary gains.. .

Keyloggers and backdoors to steal creditcard info.. passwords for e-mail accounts to use to scam money with or be untraceable.. creating botnets to be able to hammer on sites, then demand ransom..

Hacking is BIG business, and a lot of organized rings are involved in it, and even some governments...

BTW, there is a new Mac trojan out too..
http://blogs.computerworld.com/1789...le_apple_finally_reaches_out_to_security_pros

If you are running a Mac without any AV software.. .well you might as well head on down the street and start bangin on the local crack whore... She might seem nice and safe, but you just never know..

As Mac has gained more popularity, more and more stuff is being written for it.

Thanks for the heads up and the reminder. I passed your warning on to several friends and family members just in case they are not thinking.

This one is making it's rounds at a certain Big 10 University nearby...

I understand that it as causing havoc among people that really should know better than to simply click on an attachment -- especially a zip file!

It's a good bait line. Who's NOT interested to fix up the mess that's preventing them from getting that unexpected surprise? :banana:

Unfortuately, you'll get a surprise alright. :tears:

Thanks for the Public Service here.

:thmbsp:

One of my co-workers got this message some time ago and opened the attachment; two weeks of troubleshooting later w/o resolution, her PC had to be formatted and re-imaged.

The bug involved here is very well written & very nasty

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up and the reminder. I passed your warning on to several friends and family members just in case they are not thinking.

So did I, especially to those in my email ministry. It is just a shame that there are those who are bent on bringing people grief.

Click here to visit Snope's website with info.

Rome

Modern virus' are not about grief, they are about money. Gone are the days of anarchistic virus authors. So quaint.

I guess proof of concept may finally be reality on the Apple side.

dew.

I got something like that a while back, a bogus UPS notice about a shipment. But I had not shipped anything. Had the typical grammar errors etc. I forward crap like that to fraud@ups.com and if they think it's anything they will do something about it.

One of my neighbors got this virus and mess up his computer so bad had to do a complete reinstall of windows .

He was getting a generator delivered from HD and the UPS e-mail seemed legit . Filled out the form then the computer would not boot up after that.

Barney

i agree it's generally about money these days...now what really ticks me off is that these crooks are usually so incompetent...malware these days is well named,it rarely works right...it causes untold grief to the recipient and most of it likely doesn't do the author much or any good either...

not that i'm condoning this crap in any way,but done properly you should never even know there is anything amiss,your computer would be compromised,but you wouldn't know without looking for it...thus allowing the perps to do whatever they have planned,steal your info,use your system as a bot etc...but this is so rarely the case these days,often systems are so hobbled and messed up by this stuff that they no longer function well enough to even be used....it's just maddening to deal with such incompetent nonsense

Last edited:
i agree it's generally about money these days...now what really ticks me off is that these crooks are usually so incompetent...malware these days is well named,it rarely works right...it causes untold grief to the recipient and most of it likely doesn't do the author much or any good either...

not that i'm condoning this crap in any way,but done properly you should never even know there is anything amiss,your computer would be compromised,but you wouldn't know without looking for it...thus allowing the perps to do whatever they have planned,steal your info,use your system as a bot etc...but this is so rarely the case these days,often systems are so hobbled and messed up by this stuff that they no longer function well enough to even be used....it's just maddening to deal with such incompetent nonsense

Very good points.. but I'm glad they can't get it right and we can tell there is a problem.. BIggest chunk of my time spent at work is dealing with the crap.. In an Enterprise enviroment the only thing to do is re-image.. you just never know if you got it all or not.. My wife picked up something a while back.. No chances taken.. re-image, even though I did clean it.. we bank from our computers at home..

Thanks for the warning! I'll check my spam collector (AOL)

Pretty much any email with the word "Alert" in the title I dismiss as scam / malware

Back
Top Bottom