Lenses for NikonD200

This latest batch of posts are all helpful and I am grateful as I need to learn. The D200 I inherited from my deceased brother, who used to come up here a couple of times a year and wander around taking pics. He brought the camera here when it was new and I was impressed with it. I've never had serious photo stuff before and was limited to snapshots with not many options. The D200 lets me learn before I leap, so to speak, and I have already realized that what is out there today must be impressive although out of my immediate financial reach.
I got the 55-2.8 lens off ebay and I am happy so far. It came from an older film camera and i have played w/ the camera more in the last few days than I did in the four years I've had it. As with audio, however, I must await the resources to enhance my capabilities and I must balance developing an older rig versus going w/the newer stuff(though too much plastic and too much in the way of technological restrictions will play into my choices).
The comments offered here are very good and shed light on things as well as open up my thinking. I appreciate that.

I think the D200 is fine to get your feet wet, and decide how much you like DSLR/ ILC photography. I would suggest a wider angle lens at some point. If you are loving it and especially if you decide to go on trips with the idea of getting HQ photos then I would suggest getting something more current.

As far as plastic and technological restrictions - plastic anyway is pretty much unavoidable if you want a modern AF lens. Unless you spend really high $$. Not quite sure what you mean by technological restrictions, unless maybe the fact that Nikon lens compatibility is complicated. I agree it's unfortunate but it is what it is at this point.

I didn't mention it before, but the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 VR is another great all around lens. If you don't need that 17/18-24mm range, it does a lot of things well, has VR and is just great overall. I didn't get one until I went full frame but it's spent a fair bit of time on my D300.

You can get one used in the $300 range from a reputable source. Much more robust than the 18-55 kit. Again, just isn't quite as wide on the wide end.

Since you're just now getting around to playing with the camera I'd once again suggest you sit down with it and read KR's guide:

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/users-guide/index.htm

if you haven't already read through it. Having a lens now will help, at least based on my experience.

Your camera may be dated, but it was, and still is, a quite capable piece of equipment, especially coupled with that lens. I wouldn't worry too much about having to upgrade either until you find something it/they can't accomplish for you.

Good luck in your new adventure and post some pictures once you get the hang of taking them.

Back
Top Bottom