Lepai Tripath LP-2020A+ mini Amp dissected

I plan to replace the 3300uF 16v cap @ C1 with a 5600uF cap (Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1C562); I get the turn on/off thump. I noticed the chip is pulled away from the heat sink! I gently pressed the chip towards it but she no budge. I will try loosening the heat sink screws and leaning it back to the chip.

Anything else on this board that requires changing?

IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1381.JPG

Would this warm white LED work to replace the blue?

Last edited:
Great read on Lepai mods here:
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...Modding-the-Lepai-T2020A=&highlight=LEPAI

Having modded several of these amps, replacing the large input cap and using a 5 amp wall wart, provided the greatest improvement over the original unit. I found caps that were way out of spec, and one amp with a leaking input cap.

Thanks for the link. I don't want to go too crazy with this amp. After all it was only $20 and won't be used very often. I just want to remove the on/off thump.

Apparently my amp is missing some clamps that hold the Tripath chip to the heat sink!

Interesting read here. I was gifted a original Lepai which I also did the $2 Goodwill power supply upgrade and have it paired with Minimus 7's that I found at a garage sale for $2. I play it at low volume at my desk at work using the Aux connection on the Lepai to play Music from my IPhone or MP3 player. Best $4 setup I think I will ever own ... :D

Back
Top Bottom