Lesson Learned

whell

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I come here to confess my sins. About a year or so ago I sold a Kenwood KA 9100 amp on Ebay. I packed it in what I thought was a substantial box, with sufficient packaging. I then sent if off to a gentleman named Glenn. At that time, I was not a member of this board.

The Glenn that I sent it to was no other than our own EchoWars. Unfortunately, what I believed was good packing turned out not to be able to withstand the treatment it would receive at the hands of UPS. It arrived bent and beaten.

Long story short, Echo and I reached a settlement. He kept the amp and also got lucky by finding a KA 9100 amp that had an enclosure in good condition, but the innards were fried. Putting the two together got one good unit.

I learned a valuable lesson in packaging, and send nothing out to anyone anymore that is not bulletproof and double boxed.

Hi Whell

I got lucky I found AK before I did any shipping of audio. But I still read any and all shipping storys here. Too pick up any tips or tricks I might have missed. Wardsweb just posted another good thread today on the same subject. With great photo's !

"Live and learn, not crash and burn"

Regards
Army

Hey Whell,

You should see the emails I have about you. My server initially rejected them due to language. Just kidding!

I too learned the hard way about a year ago. Shipped a Pioneer SX-1280 that was ever so slightly damaged in shipping. The buyer had UPS ship it back to me. They did, in the same (now beat up) packing I originally underpacked it in. On the return trip it got trashed! Heatsink pieces were broke off the sides! It took 6 months of hassling them to get a 50% refund.

Packing

Fortunatly I bought many audio pieces before I started selling any however when I think back to the first few I sold and packed I dont know wether to laugh or cry.

I started with Pioneer SX-780s so any losses wouldnt break the bank. Knock on wood but I have never had a claim against me in the over 350 receivers and other audio pieces I have sold, packed and shipped. I cannot say the same about items I received, however I can say that none went to a full blown claim. I have received several refunds and partial refunds. Some pieces went directly into the trash and a couple I still have as scrap units.

I received a described mint SX-1050 that was just put in a big box with only a hand full of peanuts. . . . You can only imagine. . . I got a 950 once that was crumpled so badly that a screw went through the bottom of the power supply and it still worked. . .

It is sickening to open a ruined vintage piece as they are all virtually one of a kind units never to be seen again. . . Now I try not to buy from anyone but trusted sellers and those I dont know you can bet we will discuss packing before I buy it. . . .

Back
Top Bottom