"Lest we forget"...tomorrow is November the 11th

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
It is this special time of the year on November 11th at the 11th hour to remember those who gave the ultimate so we could enjoy the freedoms that we have today.

It is a time to remember all those who died and a time to give so little in the way of appreciation that we owe them...a minute of silence, attending a memorial event or thanking them for the sacrifices they suffered for us at home.

There's a gent, Terry Kelly, who recorded a song..."A Pittance Of Time" which tugs at the heart when you hear the lyrics that he shares. I wish I could in turn share this song, but I lack the skill to do so. I hope that some one will do this in order to fully appreciate this recording of Kelly.

God bless the soldiers/sailors/airmen who gave their all!

Q

Last edited:
In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Armistice Day. It’s worth mention that 100 years ago the Great War ended. All the men who fought in that war are now dead and even their grandchildren are getting old. My grandfather was an Old Contempible; one of the regulars of the BEF who went to Belgium in August of 1914; he was in the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers.

The Great War was the most important of modern times: it caused the downfall of the Hapsburg, Romanov, Hohenzollern and Ottoman dynasties, the beginning of Great Britain’s slide from power and the rise of both Bolshevism and Nazism. World War II was essentially round 2 of the Great War.

Back
Top Bottom