LET AK DO THE HEAVY "LISTENING"!!!! (music experts needed!)

Next amazing band. I've seen them live twice and they rock. They ooze effortless cool and have obviously honed their craft.
From Wales and proud of it so much so that sometimes they sing in Welsh.
I've picked some of my favourites.
In no particular order (I don't profess to be their most knowledgeable fan but since no one else has) I bring you:
The Super Furry Animals - Juxtaposed With You
The Super Furry Animals - Golden Retriever
The Super Furry Animals - Something for the Weekend
The Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
The Super Furry Animals - Atomic Lust

Enjoy

I'll start by saying this is a great thread and I now have a growing list of music to check out.

UFO is one of my all time favorite bands and has been for decades. They have been around forever, many musicians (especially rock guitar players) cite them as a major influence. Unfortunately most people have only heard Rock Bottom and maybe Doctor Doctor or Too Hot to Handle. While Rock Bottom off Strangers is one of my all time favorite songs I'm going purposefully keep that off the list and go with what I think are some truly great but underrated songs by this incredible band.

UFO - Shoot Shoot on 1979's Strangers in the Night
UFO - One More for the Rodeo on 2008's Obsession Remastered
UFO - Cherry on 1978's Obsession
UFO - Just Another Suicide on 1977's Lights Out
UFO - Electric Phase Live at Hammersmith 1883 on Headstone the best of UFO

Last edited:
There's a Canadian band "Blue Rodeo" that's pretty popular, more so in the east, but they've a following cross the continent and in some of the northern states as well.

As a band they don't like to be "pigeon holed" into a certain genre and I think at times they strive for this notoriety by being so versatile. If asked, they often reply, what time of the gig are you talkin'?

I've chosen ballads for the most part that I tend to favour, rather than the rock, blues that they can do. Most of these have a western/country feel to them overall.

Falling Down Blue"- Basically a lament for someone lost. Jim Cuddy, the writer of this song, says it reminds him of his late dad. It's moody, melancholy and slightly on the blues side. The harmony of the two singers reinforce the sadness that seeps through the lyrics. This one really grabs me.

"Bad Timing"- Lyrics tend to forefront, with a heavy base that gives this song a warm feeling. On the whole, the instruments back off, leaving the singer to clearly share the message of a past relationship that might have existed in a pure form. This one makes you think about some of the trysts that might have been.

"Til I Am Myself Aga
in"- A light tone to this song, with the drums being the heart of this ballad, with great support from the keyboard. The synthesizer gives the melody an almost Beatles sound. The voices on this song meld so well, the Everly brothers come to mind.

"Western Skies"- This song comes off heavy in western tone which deals with the West and the culture that goes with it. Heavy in drums with strong support by the piano with I think a banjo pickin' in the background. The lyrics come off second best here. It's a dance, git yer blood agoin' and get on a good horse ot take in a good saloon. In general, it does make you reflect on what iis important as well.

"Try"- My favourite! A song about hope eternal that builds all through the whole melody, that is voice featured allowing the singer to express his laments of unrequited love. A really difficult song to carry off with the instant range changes and the hurt that is made obvious by the voice almost breaking as the songster pours out his heart. Few could handle this song as does he on this composition.

* Sorry for not being able to share the urls directly.:( You may have to go to "You Tube" and do the selecting for the above ballads. You may also want to check out "Blue Rodeo's" more rock-like/blues material. To my way of thinking, they tend to be the "Eagles" of Canada.

Last edited:
Okay, it is no secret I'm a huge fan of Motorhead. Lemmy was my hero. A hard drinking, intelligent respecter of both history and his art.

Most only know "Ace Of Spades" and I can understand it. A great, heavy and fast song. However, the man wrote literally DOZENS of very emotional, well-crafted songs. His lyrics were profound, and spilled the banks of the genre's usual subject matter. For the record, Lem always said Motorhead played "Rock N Roll". Never once did he say "Speed Metal" or anything other than "Rock N Roll."

His autobiography is hysterical. Highly recommended.

After chewing on this for weeks, here are the five tunes that, if you give a listen, you may just end up a fan.

1) Cradle To The Grave - Classic riff, simple, and wonderful. My very first experience with Motorhead. I was hooked.

2) Iron Fist - More hard and heavy riffing. Classic and timeless Motorhead

3) Sacrifice - From the album with the same name, this saw Motorhead heading in a more progressive direction. Skin assailant Mikky Dee shows his stuff here. Just beating the SHIT out of those drums.

4) I Don't Believe A Word - The lyrics to this are top rate. I never tire of this song. It says so very much about that most devilish of creatures, Homo Sapien Sapien.

5) Dead And Gone - Have you lost a friend, family member, loved one? Well, this song will touch a nerve. Lem wrote it for all his friends who had overdosed.

Honorable Mention goes to the song 1916. Written from the perspective of a kid, basically, who died in the trenches in WW1. The music plays at a cemetery in France for soldiers of the Great War, I read somewhere.

lyrics found here - 1916

Something I always found frustrating is how Lemmy is always criticized for his voice. I saw him live in 2009, and I'm here to tell you, he hit EVERY note on every song. Can't say that about many singers I've seen. And he always puts harmony on his songs. Almost always.

Miss ya, Ian. You were truly amazing.

A long-time favorite of mine, and a band that I thought I would never get to see live, since I missed them the first time around. Fortunately, they have been reunited (since 2014) and I was able to see them in November of 2014...
Slowdive

1. Alison
2. When the Sun Hits (my personal favorite)
3. Catch the Breeze
4. Spanish Air
5. Dagger

After their break up in 1995, remaining members Neil Halstead, Rachel Goswell and Ian McCutcheon went on to form Mojave 3.

Also from Slowdive came Monster Movie (Christian Savill) and a lot of great solo work by Neil Halsted.

There has never been anything released that Neil Halstead has had a hand in that I do not love.

This is the face of Shoegaze!
slowdive-01_zpsirbpehjl.jpg

Last edited:
There's a Canadian band "Blue Rodeo" that's pretty popular, more so in the east, but they've a following cross the continent and in some of the northern states as well.

As a band they don't like to be "pigeon holed" into a certain genre and I think at times they strive for this notoriety by being so versatile. If asked, they often reply, what time of the gig are you talkin'?

I've chosen ballads for the most part that I tend to favour, rather than the rock, blues that they can do. Most of these have a western/country feel to them overall.

Falling Down Blue"- Basically a lament for someone lost. Jim Cuddy, the writer of this song, says it reminds him of his late dad. It's moody, melancholy and slightly on the blues side. The harmony of the two singers reinforce the sadness that seeps through the lyrics. This one really grabs me.

"Bad Timing"- Lyrics tend to forefront, with a heavy base that gives this song a warm feeling. On the whole, the instruments back off, leaving the singer to clearly share the message of a past relationship that might have existed in a pure form. This one makes you think about some of the trysts that might have been.

"Til I Am Myself Aga
in"- A light tone to this song, with the drums being the heart of this ballad, with great support from the keyboard. The synthesizer gives the melody an almost Beatles sound. The voices on this song meld so well, the Everly brothers come to mind.

"Western Skies"- This song comes off heavy in western tone which deals with the West and the culture that goes with it. Heavy in drums with strong support by the piano with I think a banjo pickin' in the background. The lyrics come off second best here. It's a dance, git yer blood agoin' and get on a good horse ot take in a good saloon. In general, it does make you reflect on what iis important as well.

"Try"- My favourite! A song about hope eternal that builds all through the whole melody, that is voice featured allowing the singer to express his laments of unrequited love. A really difficult song to carry off with the instant range changes and the hurt that is made obvious by the voice almost breaking as the songster pours out his heart. Few could handle this song as does he on this composition.

* Sorry for not being able to share the urls directly.:( You may have to go to "You Tube" and do the selecting for the above ballads. You may also want to check out "Blue Rodeo's" more rock-like/blues material. To my way of thinking, they tend to be the "Eagles" of Canada.
I'd take BR over the Eagles all day, any day.
Have you ever checked out Skydiggers, or "The" Skydiggers? They're kinda like a poor man's Blue Rodeo.

Have you ever checked out Skydiggers, or "The" Skydiggers? They're kinda like a poor man's Blue Rodeo.

No but will do. In the Buffalo area BR is almost worshiped. These venues are always filled to capacity, eh?

They can and do put out some mean blues when in the mood to do so.

Q

No but will do. In the Buffalo area BR is almost worshiped. These venues are always filled to capacity, eh?

They can and do put out some mean blues when in the mood to do so.

Q
How about the two of them together?

There are better examples. I guess I should put together a list.

Back when my wife and I first moved to a new town, a coworker of hers and I used to swap music.
In 2001, I introduced her to Beulah, and she introduced me to Death Cab For Cutie, and I've been a fan ever since.

Death Cab For Cutie

1. Song for Kelly Huckaby
2. A Movie Script Ending
3. Blacking Out the Friction
4. Line of Best Fit
5. Transatlanticism (amazing live)

Bonus: Styrofoam Plates (a bit heavy)

I realize that I lean heavily toward their older output. Maybe it's larger number of soccer moms who have embraced them during their last few albums. You can always go to Youtube and put in "top tracks", but where's the fun in that?

Back when my wife and I first moved to a new town, a coworker of hers and I used to swap music.
In 2001, I introduced her to Beulah, and she introduced me to Death Cab For Cutie, and I've been a fan ever since.

Death Cab For Cutie

1. Song for Kelly Huckaby
2. A Movie Script Ending
3. Blacking Out the Friction
4. Line of Best Fit
5. Transatlanticism (amazing live)

Bonus: Styrofoam Plates (a bit heavy)

I realize that I lean heavily toward their older output. Maybe it's larger number of soccer moms who have embraced them during their last few albums. You can always go to Youtube and put in "top tracks", but where's the fun in that?
That's totally cool - I was trying to put together four but I only made it to three. So I'll add my three to your five -

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart
Death Cab For Cutie - Soul Meets Body
Death Cab For Cutie - Black Sun

I'd recommend picking up It's My Life and Colour of Spring as complete albums. They're worth it, in my opinion.
Amazon had a package of the first 3 including the two you mentioned plus 'The Party's Over' cheaper than buying the two alone so I grabbed it.
And boy am I glad I did!
Though I have discovered some favorites they're all really great songs, not a single skip worthy tune in the bunch.
Right now 'I Don't Believe in You' and 'Living in Another World' are my favorite tunes to listen to.
Thanks autoanalog for a great recommendation and onwardjames for a great thread:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom