LET AK DO THE HEAVY "LISTENING"!!!! (music experts needed!)

I wish this thread was still alive and kickin'...

I am sorry, I completely forgot about this lovely thread. Thank you for resurrecting it.

I think that, with so much great music out there, it makes sense for others who are well versed in this artist, or that band, to give us a "cliff notes" version.

Also, I don't think it's a big deal to post the Youtube link directly, I just thought it would help with those with questionable internet service.

Okay, ya'll, let's kick this up a notch.

I am sorry, I completely forgot about this lovely thread. Thank you for resurrecting it.

I think that, with so much great music out there, it makes sense for others who are well versed in this artist, or that band, to give us a "cliff notes" version.

Also, I don't think it's a big deal to post the Youtube link directly, I just thought it would help with those with questionable internet service.

Okay, ya'll, let's kick this up a notch.

Exactly right. Hearing what others consider to be their favorites, or just picking tunes that offer a good intro to bands/performers that I'm not familiar with is why I kept returning. I didn't like some of the suggestions, but I enjoyed a lot of them.

Last edited:
Danielle Nicole's 2018 album, Cry no More. The first time I heard it, it moved me to tears and then some. This girl has so much soul it's hard to fathom, and talk about pipes. Wow, just wow. Give it a listen from start to finish if you like blues and soul, you won't be disappointed friends. ;)

Late to the game but...
Going to go out on a limb and do a beloved by many jazz pianist, Bill Evans. Very prolific composer who had a career that spanned from the mid 1950's to 1980. Many of his compositions have become jazz standard and arguably, IMO, only McCoy Tyner has been as influential on jazz pianists that came after. So here are my picks to introduce someone to Bill Evans (and it's hard to narrow it down, just some of my more accessible fav's ). Not all of these are his compositions.

1. Waltz For Debbie
2. But Beautiful (with Stan Getz)
3. Reflections In D
4. You must Believe In Spring
5. Skating in Central Park (With Jim Hall on Guitar)

And as a bonus, one of my favorites though it may be not as accessible as the above:
6. Peace Piece. (A song that appears on two of his albums and he only ever performed live on one occasion that I am aware of)

Late to the game but...
Going to go out on a limb and do a beloved by many jazz pianist, Bill Evans. Very prolific composer who had a career that spanned from the mid 1950's to 1980. Many of his compositions have become jazz standard and arguably, IMO, only McCoy Tyner has been as influential on jazz pianists that came after. So here are my picks to introduce someone to Bill Evans (and it's hard to narrow it down, just some of my more accessible fav's ). Not all of these are his compositions.

1. Waltz For Debbie
2. But Beautiful (with Stan Getz)
3. Reflections In D
4. You must Believe In Spring
5. Skating in Central Park (With Jim Hall on Guitar)

And as a bonus, one of my favorites though it may be not as accessible as the above:
6. Peace Piece. (A song that appears on two of his albums and he only ever performed live on one occasion that I am aware of)

Just delving into Bill Evans. Tragic story (dying from complications of cocaine addiction, says wiki, at what...51?) but lord, what a pianist. Thank you.

Massive Attack style; trip hop They are credited with inventing this genre. To many great tunes to limit to five, but if you like these you'll like this group.
1. Safe from harm
2. inertia creeps
3. Protection
4. angel
5. risingson

Fluke genre: trip hop I'd say. sounds to me they were influenced by Massive Attack, but not as dark. Great stuff to show off your systems bass. These songs are all off their Risotto album. They have another album called Puppy. Not sure what else is out there by them.
1. Absurd
2. Atom bomb
3. bermuda
4. amp
5. squirt
6. goodnight lover I know but I had to include it. It's great also!

Stan Getz--Jazz
1. Billy Highstreet Samba (title of album & song)
2. Anytime tomorrow
3. The Dirge
4. Page two
5. Body and soul
The title song was what first got me interested in jazz. I had tried to get into it before (jazz) but just couldn't. Loved Getz since. Man is he smooth.......Great album with some fantastic players on it. Mitchel Forman on keyboards really impresses too.

Massive Attack style; trip hop They are credited with inventing this genre. To many great tunes to limit to five, but if you like these you'll like this group.
1. Safe from harm
2. inertia creeps
3. Protection
4. angel
5. risingson

Friend of mine insisted I take a copy of Massive Attack, forget which album. I'll see if any of these tunes are on that. Thank you.

1. Safe from harm
2. inertia creeps
3. Protection
4. angel
5. risingson
Love this groupe. Fantastic music. Blue Line and Mezzanine are two of my favorites.

Enigma from the album Le Roi Est Mort. Well worth a listen. A blend of New Age, Techno and Electronica. It covers the whole frequency range from highs to thumping bass.

I'm going to try The Marshall Tucker Band, a phenomenal band that seems to get lost when talking about Southern Rock. These guys were much more "cowboy" than "barroom brawler", like Skynyrd or Molly Hatchet. Toy Caldwell wrote music that didn't really fit into any one genre, incorporating influences of Blues, Western Swing, and Jazz into many of his songs. Some of my favorites:

"This Old Cowboy" Breezy and jazzy, this one shows off drummer Paul T. Riddle's ability to inject something truly different without 'taking over' the song. (someone once told me this song sounds like a 70s TV show theme)
"Blue Ridge Mountain Skies" recorded live in New jersey (for MTV, no less!) a few months after the death of Toy's brother, bassist Tommy Caldwell, Toy lets loose a beautiful guitar solo. What makes this worth a listen is that Toy rarely played the same solo twice. Searching youtube, you can find another version of this song, played the following night, with Toy playing a completely different solo. He was known to frequently improvise his longer solos. (also note that Toy played without a pick, using the side of his thumb for his playing)
"Desert Skies" a song very much in the Western Swing style. Great playing by everyone, especially Jerry Eubanks on sax (he also played flute for MTB)
"Bob Away My Blues" a slow, swing style song about going fishing and forgetting about your problems. Any song that has the line "Got my red worms in a Maxwell House coffee can" can't be all bad.
"Low Down Ways" simple mid-tempo song with a nice hook, and some really nice vocal harmonies.

Back
Top Bottom