1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Let see those table lamps - vintage or modern

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by L-82, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Katalyst

Katalyst AK Subscriber Subscriber

Furious how do you like your ohms in the picture?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. furious_01

furious_01 Active Member

I enjoy them quite a bit, actually. Very neutral speakers that are a bit finicky with placement (when i actually listen to them, I pull them out a bit more off the wall than what you see in the picture). I like them paired with a semi-powerful amp to sufficiently drive them, as do most Ohm speakers. To me, they are still one of the best bang for your buck speakers on the market. I remember paying a touch under $200 for these and feel they are worth every penny.

KrautNotRice and Katalyst like this.
  3. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

Got to use this one for a couple of days while on the road.

IMG_4390.JPG

4. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

Found this today for a few bucks. A pre-1963 American Optical Universal Illuminator Model 359. I think it will make a brilliant turntable lamp once I replace the the speaker cable with something more industrial.

IMG_4497.JPG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  5. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Slick!

Cadillac Kid likes this.
  6. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very cool!

Cadillac Kid likes this.

7. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not necessarily modern but most likely mid-century.

IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG

FauxHall, Old Guy8 and Cadillac Kid like this.
  8. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

9. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

It won't win any design awards but this lamp that my dad made in shop class in about 1935 or so will never leave me.

[​IMG]Dad's shop class lamp by Buhduh, on Flickr

10. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

I have one of those in black crinkle finish, they were an 80s lighting icon. Not sure of the designer but you can find the exact one you have in Robobcop -

[​IMG]

Drugolf likes this.
  11. soundmotor

That's a great lamp!

Heyco is the name of the grommet maker, not the lamp: https://www.heyco.com

Lamps of this era may have a paper tag inside the shade near the sockets. Take the bulbs out and see if you can see it. Unfortunately the glue on the label lets go and they fall out. The other spot might be inside the base behind the felt of cork stuck to the weight.

Your best bet for the knob is to look for the entire socket with knob attached on ebay. Most rotary switch sockets now do not have a detachable knob but a molded one integral to it like below. One other place to look would be an old lighting store. Most are long gone now but if there is one around since the 70s you might get lucky.

[​IMG]

12. soundmotor

Although I don't use them anymore (prices way up) http://snakeheadvintage.com has a good selection of parts and are easy to deal with. If the lamp has a vintage socket shell, keep it but replace the guts (paper sleeve liner & socket/switch). Even cheapo Walmart ones are suitable for this. If you have an earlier lamp with fat boy socket as below, you can use the modern switch/socket replacement but not the liner. Definitely shop around for those -

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0i131k1j0i46k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1.0.Uxv3jkceNIE

Fat boy socket -

[​IMG]

13. dan-c

dan-c Perpetual Lurker Subscriber

A few of my old lamps from the 60's and early 70's

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

Pioneered, Vincentz, Drugolf and 4 others like this.
  14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Wow, thanks for this response - very informative and educational.

I'm still moving and getting settled into my new place. Prior to moving, I placed several of my vintage items (LOTS of glassware, a clock, a couple lamps, some furniture) on consignment at a local shop. I showed the owner what I was looking for. He didn't have any, but recommended another local vintage store that specializes in lighting. Once I get settled in and have a free weekend, I'll pay them a visit.

I'll have to check the lamp when I get home, but I think the sockets are bakelite, or perhaps ceramic. I see plenty of new ones on eBay, but I'd prefer to keep this lamp as original as possible.

15. soundmotor

If the sockets are in good shape and can find the original type knob, great. If not don't sweat it as that has minimal if any impact on the look or value of the lamp. I never reuse vintage sockets when I rebuild a lamp as new parts are inexpensive plus peace of mind. I used to always use ceramic sockets with incandescent bulbs as the heat long term makes the thermoset resin (bakelite) brittle over time. With LED bulbs though heat is a non-issue. I recommend LED bulbs with any metal shade/hood lamps as they can get 2nd-degree-burn hot with filament bulbs.

16. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agree with useing LEDs. Only continued use forr incandesants is lava lamps when re heat is required. LEds especially in recess light fixtureswhere lower heat is safer near insuration snd other combusables. Sorry for hijack.

soundmotor likes this.

17. soundmotor

Not a hijack, very important info!

Old Guy8 likes this.
  18. Katalyst

Katalyst AK Subscriber Subscriber

I put dim-able leds in an over head light . The tuner on fm had a terrible sound on the lower bands. Shut off the over head light and sound disappeared . The over head light and outlet to receiver were on same circuit .Put open element/clear bulbs in the over head. Sound gone. Added benefit is this cool pattern the light has now. 20171209_201227_resized.jpg

reydelaplaya, L-82, Archguy and 2 others like this.
  19. Nixxuz

Nixxuz AK Subscriber Subscriber

I found this lamp in a box my GF had lying around. I only just now found out it's actually worth a few bucks! I don't have a pic, but here's an image.

[​IMG]

20. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

[​IMG]

The shade of this bankers-style lamp is actually made of sea shells.
    It was crafted by an artisan from Brooklyn many years ago.
    He searched out the right sorts of shells for effect.
    The dragonfly is stained glass of course.

HarmanKardon, Vincentz, L-82 and 6 others like this.