1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Let see those table lamps - vintage or modern

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by L-82, Jan 20, 2016.

1. kirk57

kirk57 Some guy on the Internet Subscriber

I think lots of manufactured items have a beauty about them. I have a high flange bicycle hub, a gear from a table saw and the tuning mechanism from an old receiver as decorative pieces in my living room.

HarmanKardon and JohnMac like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JohnMac

JohnMac Addicted Member

And another thrift store lamp. Oak and covered in blue velour. Maybe a shop class project?

009.JPG

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    guitarlvr likes this.
  3. DeeCee

DeeCee Super Member

Fastest lamp on the site! (so far...)

Moby Dick and JohnMac like this.
  4. guitarlvr

guitarlvr Super Member

5. guitarlvr

guitarlvr Super Member

IMG_3065.JPG

Ds2000 likes this.
  6. guitarlvr

guitarlvr Super Member

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

Ds2000 and DeeCee like this.

7. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

My wife and I were at a thrift the other day, and on one of the knick-knack shelves was a tacky doodad made of green Italian onyx. I looked at the bottom and saw that the whole thing was held together by a standard lamp rod. I knew I could make it into a lamp. I took it apart, flipped the tear-drop shaped part over for better balance, put the metal doo-hickies on top of that, and topped it with a nickel-plated medium base socket. I wired it with plenum wire, because I have a lot of it, soldered it to the contacts in the socket (no room for screws), and terminated it with a "Sta Tite" hard rubber, very vintage plug. Lastly, I super-glued it to an old ashtray made of the same green onyx, routing the cord out by way of the cutout made to hold a cigarette. P1010131.JPG P1010133.JPG P1010134.JPG P1010136.JPG P1010135.JPG

HarmanKardon and DeeCee like this.
  8. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

Needs a little EPI logo at the bottom.

9. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

You can’t really call it a lamp but it throws enough light to keep from tripping over stuff on the floor. Basically a mood light. Its 8 inches in diameter, levitates and spins too

3ECA29D4-A644-4377-9C6B-4A411DFAFBB1.png

reydelaplaya, guitarlvr and DeeCee like this.
  10. Katalyst

Katalyst AK Subscriber Subscriber

Where do I get one?

11. mikeybc

mikeybc Listener

reydelaplaya likes this.

12. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I finally managed to find another knob to replace the one that was missing when I bought this last fall:

[​IMG]

13. bob smog

bob smog Creebling at the Turntables Subscriber

Here's an early 20th century Chicago street lamp we use on a corner table in the LR, illuminated by a 10 watt bulb.

My wife dragged it out of an alley about 20 years ago, just moments before a scapper was going to grab it.

Battered, but beautiful. Measures about 30 inches to the tip of the point.

[​IMG]

14. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

Repost of a lamp I have but thought it looked great in this pic.

5B79BD9A-510C-4886-916A-5C3A8A5E5650.jpeg

15. milehisui

milehisui New Member

Her name is Eileen.

16. lilwing

lilwing CAGE FREE AUDIO ZOO Subscriber

I have good news!! a number 93 bulb is a 6 volt tail light bulb. I buy em by the box for my Tensor lamps. (place called 1000 bulbs or something)

drtool likes this.

17. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’ve posted a pic of this inside a longer post in the MCM thread, but it fits here too.

This is the most recent lamp I’ve got (tho another is in the way from Hungary).

It was originally a lucite and chrome pendant, but I had an idea when I bought it to turn it upside down, mount it on a base, and use it as a desk lamp.

DC6FFF40-3228-4212-BF0B-27E4D9FB3F2B.jpeg

A21C4334-D603-497E-ADDD-273EC9634CE7.jpeg

94855FF9-6D34-4403-8A24-3D9B1F548C14.jpeg

The cheapest lamp I could find on amazon served as the base/cord/switch/socket. Took about 1/2 an hour to creatively assemble. Once this other lamp gets here, this lamp will be used as an accent lamp. It’s awesome, and it turned out way better than expected, but it’s not a great height for a desk lamp.

The other lamp that’s on its way is an old Napako 521, designed by Josef Hurka (same guy that gave us those popular ‘mushroom lamps’).

EAC5FF32-26EA-43DC-8462-87762B21C89C.png

Got it pretty cheap because as you can see, it’s in kinda rough shape (including needing the switch replaced) but I’m sure it’ll clean up nice, and I’ve already got its replacement switch here.

Haven’t decided if I’m going to leave it as is, or commit the sin of disassembling it, stripping down the shade and foot, and repainting them. All the metal is in good shape, no bends or dents or anything, so it would be a pretty easy refinish, but I don’t know yet.

Last known location, USPS ISC, in NY about 2 weeks ago. Should be arriving any time now I hope.

18. virak

virak Save the vinyl!

That's the "Symfoni" (also known as the "Priest's Collar") pendant Claus Bolby designed for Cebo.
    https://www.danishvintage.design/designers/claus-bolby/

reydelaplaya likes this.
  19. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow! Thank you for that info :) Google image searching that name produces a whole bunch of different chrome/lucite lamps with similar characteristics - some great colors too! Apparently they’re all handmade.

I see one photo that looks exactly like the one I have, but it’s a cluster of pendants. I wonder if mine has strayed from its pack over the years.

20. virak

virak Save the vinyl!

Both the small and large Symfoni lamps were sold as single pendants. BTW, according to a lamp collector I know, the Shah of Iran bought 100 of the larger diameter red ones for one of his palaces back in the days. Your version might actually be quite rare, as he have every color except white.

reydelaplaya likes this.