Let your pet dog listen to & choose the best speaker cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kris,

I could tell you have a keen analytical mind. I will agree with you that a better controlled experiment needs to be set up other than what I did. Although what I did led me to the Nordost Blue Heavens, which seem to be a very nice cable for me so far.

Poor fropiler seems to harbor some resentment towards me though. I wonder if he might be running silver based cables? Sputnik (my dog) eliminated them first.

The eagle question isn’t to “troll” whatever that means. Most people would pick the eagle, because of his keen eyesight. While we could see the rabbit, he could see the detail, the nuances and subtlety that would allow him to make the better dinner choice. And that’s my point about the dogs hearing enabling him to make the better cable choice.

Oh well, enough discussion for me tonight. Its time to take Sputnik for a walk

Herr Eickhorn said:
Kris,

I could tell you have a keen analytical mind. I will agree with you that a better controlled experiment needs to be set up other than what I did. Although what I did led me to the Nordost Blue Heavens, which seem to be a very nice cable for me so far.

Poor fropiler seems to harbor some resentment towards me though. I wonder if he might be running silver based cables? Sputnik (my dog) eliminated them first.

The eagle question isn’t to “troll” whatever that means. Most people would pick the eagle, because of his keen eyesight. While we could see the rabbit, he could see the detail, the nuances and subtlety that would allow him to make the better dinner choice. And that’s my point about the dogs hearing enabling him to make the better cable choice.

Oh well, enough discussion for me tonight. Its time to take Sputnik for a walk

You give yourself too much credit. Enjoy your walk.

:bs:

Let me interject here. Eveyone is entitled to their opinion. You do not have to agree with it, but you are not allowed to flame someone because they do not think the same way you do. AK is made up of thousands of individuals from around the world. We only agree that we may disagree.

So being opened minded and having 25+ years in electronics and audio (realize these are not the same thing) I see your hypothesis and your assumptions for drawing your conclusion. Let me pose an option for you. You use your dog because he has better hearing than you. Well there are many electronics instruments that can better quantify the accuracy of your cables and spectrum analyzers that can detect beyond any living soft tissue device, even so much as to give you the harmonics. Why not use some of this gear? ........I'll give you something to consider. We listen to music not as analytical receptors but because music can evoke emotions in us. This is a subjective thing and can not be analyzed. Thus a better receptor can tell us clinical results but can not deduce human behavior. The only person who has to like your system is you. If you like the way it sounds, then changing anything only has to please you. Besides your dog may be a classical lover while you prefer jazz.

sorcerer.gif
closed!

Just for the record, I'm not flaming. If someone spams, and someone else says: "hey, look, a spammer"...it's the same sort of thing. Someone is trying to put forth bullshit as discussion, and I'm just saying, "hey, look, a bullshitter". No judgment is implied. I'm the sort of guy who lets the chips fall where they may. I just point them out, that's all.

blue_lateral said:
Thus I am inescapably drawn to it. <sigh>

I hear ya. I'm only drawn to it because it combines two of my favorite subjects: Audio gear and dogs. Yes, in a sort of twisted, almost perverse way, but hey, I'm entertained. Whether or not the intention was to troll, it doesn't matter to me. And since most AKers are at least as twisted and perverse as myself, I see why this thread has some popularity.

But perhaps we have, alas, beaten this one to death. I wouldn't mind it ending any time now.

BTW, the Eagle analogy is invalid. Seeing what the dots are is a means to another end. (i.e. using our sense of site to eventually satisfy our sensation of hunger and weekness.) For our purposes, we hear for the sake of hearing. And if we can draw no closer and don't have any binoculars, what difference does it make if the dog can tell what the dots are?

- jw

doggy treats

Quote:

"So, this is how I did it. Hook up the right channel with one type of cable. Then hook up the left channel with a different type of cable. Then put the same type of treat in front of each speaker. Play your test music then release the dog from a point equidistant from each speaker. The dog will go first to the treat that is in the most pleasing and best sound field. Now, to validate the test, switch the cables and repeat the test. The dog will now go to the opposite speaker, which again, is in the most pleasing and best sound field. Thus, this tells you which cable is producing the most pleasing and best sound field."

There are so many erroneous presumptions in this "experiment" that it's hard to take it seriously.

Why do you need doggy treats in the first place? If the dogs' hearing has any relevance to a humans' hearing, he(she) should be enjoying the sound (or not) on its own merits, and thus indicate which cable is best by running to that channel and wagging his tail (or, with a jack terrier, maybe jumping up and down rapidly). What evidence is there that the response is based on the "best sound field"? None. In other words, an experiment to test a variable should be based on that variable, not confounded with another(many) stimuli/variables.

Switching the cables doesn't validate much of anything in this test w/o some controls. If it worked for you, that's great, but you've presented a continuous case that this is some sort of superior methodology. It ain't.

It's just anecdotal opinion, whatever that's worth.

Gordy Smiff said:
I read the first two pages of this thread, then asked my dog if I should read the rest, she said no.

This is the best reply to this whole post !

2DualsNotEnough said:
Can I make a bad joke about my dog liking the cable that best brings out the woofer?
Sorry.

I was just relaxing in my Barcalounger when a thought hit me! Do you think Sputnik could tell the difference between new cables and cables that are burned in? Just wondering……

Herr Eickhorn's theory seems simple enough to test: Simply repeat the test from square-one a few times. If Sputnik continues to select Nordost Blue Heavens in the cable Super Bowl it does say *something* about the dog's ability and consistency, though his choice may not correlate to what sounds pleasing to us humans (which everyone knows are Acoustats on a fat Mac) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom