Let's kick it up a notch

cruisaire

PGA and Rainwater!
Only 1 more "easy payment", and she's all mine. Well, not exactly this one, but a seasoned facsimile anyway. Her home shall be adjacent to the exalted MX 112. That will require an exodus of the humble 250 to the office and it shall resideth in the valley of the most high MX 114.

Last edited:
I sure would love to see your pic Cruisair, congrats!
Unfortunately pictures won't load while the site is in this mode. :(

Carl

I think she shipped out today. I'll post pics when she gets here. Can't wait, but must!! I fell asleep in front of my MC250 and JBLs on Sunday afternoon and woke up smiling to some old Allman Brothers. These L20Ts are truly amazing (no pun intended TA) with this searly SS Mc equipment. I can only imagine the 2100 will send me over the edge (in comparison to the 250), no?
More to follow shortly.

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

I have been considering 2 MC2100's in mono for the JBL's....I saw one today at the shop,,Its a monster!!

Thanks Carl, but that's just an example. I'm awaiting the "real deal" now and foaming at the mouth for the UPS Brown Shirt to deliver the goods. Pics to follow, I promise.

I miss the MC2100...

A few years back I borrowed my brother's mint '76 MC2100 while he was using two MC250s strapped in mono (one of them mine) for his audio system. The MC2100 sounded no different to my ears than my trusty MC250...I suppose because it was driving my 98.5dB efficient Klipsch Cornwalls, which obviously was overkill for the horns. In any event, both vintage Macs sounded awesome through the Klipsch; their output autoformers being the reason I think why they sounded so warm and tube-like. Dammit, it makes me so mad I was laid off and had to sell everything I owned (only the Cornwalls survived)! Maybe someday I'll tire of my inexpensive Hong Kong-made 300B SET amp, save up some money, and buy another McIntosh (either an MC250 or an MC2100...the best vintage SS amps money can buy IMO)!

Enjoy your "new" Mac...UPS can't get there soon enough, I'll bet.:thmbsp:

cruisaire said:
Thanks Carl. Where do you get the cool "gold-plated spades to fit this amp?
I haven't bought any guy. I'm still the old fashioned tin the ends with solder
and call it good type. I know there is a thread or 2 in here but "search" and me aren't meshing yet.

Carl

Cool Carl! Per the thread, looks like "Ye Olde Auto Parts Store" or some pricey boutique types are the options. I'm using 12 gauge cord and she ain't too purty with a regular "twist and wrap" under the screws.

Congrats. I've owned a 250 for over 30 years and a 2105 for about 5. The 250 was my main amp for all that time until I seemed to need the extra 3 db with my new set of main speakers. The amps sound vitually the same. Only on VERY close listening with a revealing system can you hear the very very slight differences. They are so close that the differences may even be due to differences from the aging process since back when these were in production I don't remember hearing differences. I do like the glass and meters of the 2105 since it blends in with the 77 and 28 but with it sitting next to the 250, I actually like the looks of the 250 better. It is just beautiful with the chrome and black chassis and covers.

Thanks Brian. I kept my 250 and paired it with the MX114 at work. Sweet sounds when I have Brubeck on the cdp! This 2100 doesn't seem distinguishable to my ears from the 250. Maybe it is my imagination, but I can only hear some power "oomph" difference.

:smoke:

Back
Top Bottom