Lets play: NAME THAT CARTRIDGE!

thanks all, it is strange that they put the lable under the headshell. As it turns out, its an AT433E. Anyone familiar with that? worth keeping or swapping out completely... I had my eyes eventually upgrading to a 2m red. I liked the looks of that Shure m97xE but apparently they stopped making carts.

According to my x-reference the AT433E is the same as their regular line AT12E. It would have been equipped with a deep blue ATS12 stylus; which is a 0.4 x 0.7 mil elliptical that has a recommended tracking force of 1.25 to 2.0 grams

thanks all, it is strange that they put the lable under the headshell. As it turns out, its an AT433E. Anyone familiar with that? worth keeping or swapping out completely... I had my eyes eventually upgrading to a 2m red. I liked the looks of that Shure m97xE but apparently they stopped making carts.
Put the AT12XE stylus on that, and forget about the 2M red.

http://stereoneedles.com/audio-technica.html

I would submit that the 2M Red is no upgrade over that AT. Get the stylus Marc recommended and you'll be pleased.

I would submit that the 2M Red is no upgrade over that AT. Get the stylus Marc recommended and you'll be pleased.

An after market replacement stylus would be less expensive than the Ortofon 2M Red.

May even be as good if not better performance. :music:

Again, this forum has been so amazing, I'm so grateful for you all! I've been doing some snooping, there is little info on the 433, but it sure does look a lot like a AT12, so I have faith that you guys are right. As Gretsch6120 said, it has a tracking force of 2g. I was hoping to hit closer to 3g for some of my older records and also because we tend to dance lol. I guess you guys all recommend at first glance to keep the cart and just put a fresh needle on it...

I guess the question is, i can buy an ATn12xe for $80 and track at 2g, or $100 for a 2m Red and track at 3g... Is that nonsense?

I guess the question is, i can buy an ATn12xe for $80 and track at 2g,

or $100 for a 2m Red and track at 3g... Is that nonsense?

No matter what you buy, do not track beyond the recommended range set by the manufacturer. :no:

Ortofon 2 M Red
Tracking force range - 1.6 - 2.0g (16 - 20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.8 g (18 mN)

Again, this forum has been so amazing, I'm so grateful for you all! I've been doing some snooping, there is little info on the 433, but it sure does look a lot like a AT12, so I have faith that you guys are right. As Gretsch6120 said, it has a tracking force of 2g. I was hoping to hit closer to 3g for some of my older records and also because we tend to dance lol. I guess you guys all recommend at first glance to keep the cart and just put a fresh needle on it...

I guess the question is, i can buy an ATn12xe for $80 and track at 2g, or $100 for a 2m Red and track at 3g... Is that nonsense?

I track my AT12 @ 1.7gr, which is considered the upper limits i believe

I found an AT 433 on a Technics SL D2 that I reburbished and gave to my son.

I put on a Pfansteil 629-DE aftermarket stylus. It’s a .2x.7 elliptical, which cost about $15 bucks. There is a big thread on this somewhere on AK and it was an eBay purchase. I still see it on eBay.

The cartridge and stylus sound great. It’s a complete bargain. I recommend you try it, if you can find the .2x.7 elliptical.

I like it better than the OM Red by far.

If you require something that tracks heavier you can sub the red conical ATS10 (2.5 to 4 gr) or green elliptical ATS11E (2 to 3 gr). You can usually find genuine A-T replacements at nice prices as they are not high end styli that have skyrocketed in price

It appears to be 'vintage' (the nice term for 'old') therefore, I'd name it Mortimer. Or maybe Opie.

Back
Top Bottom