Lets see all them Amplifiers!

yEOQGy6l.jpg

^^^-67 blackface showman in a 64 blonde cab. All original with exception of a few caps/resistors to keep it running quiet. I run it into an avatar cab loaded with 2 100w weber fc12a speakers. The reverb and cab are gone to a collector-musician.

____________------------___________-----------____________------------______________------------_____________---------______

vvv-I just sold the rig below. 2000 kustom trt100 that reminded me of the old Orange or120. Loud beautiful clean. rich, complex distortion that had a slight fuzz tone when cranked up. I used it to push that ampeg 4x10 bass cab and an avatar 2x12 loaded with weber alnico blue dogs. Amazeballs!
54lG4xcl.jpg

Oh the acquiring will continue, a lot of complex SS sounds boxes here, just switcher man and gater no decay, stuff of speed man.

not vintage but its a line 6 spider 111 75 watt amp and my new to me fender with hot coils (pickups) an man does it sound good!!!

* note* i was out today an stopped by a guitar center, came across a blackstar amp.
i was blown away by it, an thinking about maybe searching for a used one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180209-054910.png
    Screenshot_20180209-054910.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 12
all theee gain 4 boxes and stages and a buffer. I don't know if it's that convincing hi-gain wise, but something on that cooler side.

IMG_20180303_083651_hdr_kindlephoto-70450098.jpg

I bought this Silvertone cheap at a flea market years ago. I replaced the torn up grill cloth with fuzzy leopard print because Rod Piazza had one like that. I replaced the filter caps but I really need to break into it and clean up the sloppy job that I did. The mic is an old Turner that I cut off the old desk stand and replaced the bad element with a nos Turner ceramic element. All in all, it sounds pretty good, in a small room anyhow.

1951/52 Model 1346 Silvertone 50 Watt Guitar Amplifier with two Rolo 12 inch Voice Coil Speakers and a Tube Tremelo. Just finished rebuilding it , web info. Says Dan Electro made it for Sears Silvertone and that it was the top of the line amplifier at Sears in 1951/52. This amp uses 6Y6 G tubes for the tremelo and I put two vintage Tung Sol Jan CTL 6L6/5881 tubes in it and a Tung Sol Rabbit Ear 6SN7. 5U4 rectifier, 6SJ7 and 12SJ7 . The metal 12SJ7 is a little microfonic up loud and it needs to be replaced with a glass tube instead but This thing sounds very good !

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_040333892.jpg
    IMG_20180609_040333892.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20180609_040038247.jpg
    IMG_20180609_040038247.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180607_222234978.jpg
    IMG_20180607_222234978.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Way too cool billyz. :beatnik:

Did you make the cabinet?
I designed it after an old Art Deco radio.
I had my friend John Mergili build it.
The amp came out sounding so good John Mergili keeps asking me to build another . Really good sounding Harmonica amps are very different from most guitar amps.
Solid finger jointed pine, hot hide glue.

Here's the Rickenbacker B9-A clone I started last year,,, finally got it close to done!! Still deciding on the handle, may just go with a brown strap... Clear plastic Rick handle would be cool, if one ever pops up...

Attachments

• P1310036.JPG
    P1310036.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 21
  • P1310035.JPG
    P1310035.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 19
I recently picked up this little bad boy. It's a Kay Vanguard 704 - one of the first solid state guitar amps ever offered on the market, and it was made with germanium transistors.

The Kay 704 was made from 1962 to 1966, but this seems to be a very rare version. Normally, the Kay 704 has a cream covering with a strip of dark brown or black vinyl down the side (see bottom picture). However, when I bought this thing I realized that it was an all-black model. Out of all the ones I had seen on the internet up to that point, they all had a cream and brown/black colour combination. So, it got me wondering if this was some kind of rare one-off, or perhaps an early version before they switched to the "snazzier" colour scheme.

The filter caps had been replaced on this amp, but luckily when the work was done the tech saved the original caps that came with the amp from the factory and put them in a bag. So, I had a look at them and they all had date codes with a "62" stamped into them, so as far as I am concerned, this is a first year 1962 Kay Vanguard 704 with a rare all-black covered cabinet. It seems that very, very few of them were ever made like this one.

Sadly, when I got it home though, it no longer worked! Despite the filter caps having been replaced, the amp was just about dead. It still played, but the volume output was low, but not muffled. It still reacted to being cranked and overdriven, and having the volume pot set lower for a cleaner tone, but everything was just at a very low volume. Also, the tremolo circuit doesn't seem to work, so this amp requires a little TLC. I have been cash-strapped lately, so unfortunately it's been put on the back burner. But fear not, it will get refreshed and back to proper working order! :)

However, watching some of the videos on YouTube, this thing sounds great! It has that classic, natural germanium transistor breakup that really has a great tonality all its own. It has an old Oak Leaf brand speaker in it too. I'm hoping the speaker isn't the issue with it though, because it's a big part of the overall tone of this little guy. Check out the videos below to have a listen for yourself. I love the sound of it and I can't wait to get it up and running again. I just love the early-60's kitschy vibe of this thing with its kitchen cabinet handle and all.

thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg
thumbnail-5.jpeg
thumbnail-6.jpeg
thumbnail-7.jpeg

Here's what a normal Kay Vanguard 704 is supposed to look like:

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.53.47 PM.jpg

Here are some videos. Beware though: in the first video, the dialog is quiet, but when he starts playing, the amp is at a much louder volume, so don't crank the volume up or else you'll scare the crap out of yourself. lol The other videos are at regular volume. This should give you an idea of what this thing is capable of though. It can do anything from raunchy rock to jazz (as heard in the first video especially). I think this little thing sounds awesome:

Last edited:
I recently picked up this little bad boy. It's a Kay Vanguard 704 - one of the first solid state guitar amps ever offered on the market, and it was made with germanium transistors.

Nice score Dude!

I have always had a soft spot for germanium transistors.Sonically,they're the tube that doesn't glow in the dark:)

Back
Top Bottom