Lets see all them Amplifiers!

Here's my bass rig. Carvin BX1500 amplifier, bridged 900W/8 ohms. 12AX7 preamp tube, Fisher Mullard occupies that spot now. Nice lightweight and really powerful amp.

Cab is a Greenboy fEARful, built by yours truly. http://greenboy.us/fEARful/ Drivers are Eminence 3015LF and 18Sound 6ND410. It's a wicked cab, hi-fi for bass.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 362
Haven't spent enough time with this one, but it'll get some attention some day soon- it's a custom-made tube preamp based on the Mesa Boogie Studio .22+ pre, made by John Nau in Rochester, NY (great guy, interesting amp designs, and excellent repairs & mods). This is a very early build for him, his work has improved a lot since 1990. It's got mostly Mesa 12AX7s in it, with one Hungarian tube ("Tungsram"?) that might be equivalent to a GE.

Still have to figure out what it wants for a footswitch (that part's not 100% like the Mesa), but I do like the sounds I get out of it.

je

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• JVNpreFront (Medium).jpg
    JVNpreFront (Medium).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 344
  • JVNpreBack (Medium).jpg
    JVNpreBack (Medium).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
My amps.
The JCM800 2203 I have had since 1984, its extensively modified by me. It runs KT88's and I have modified the gain/treble boost/and tone stack.
The Super Lead amp is from 1975 ( I bought it in 2000), I have turned it into a 2203 style master volume amp with the same mods as the JCM 800, its got a "creamier" sound than the JCM....
The cabinets are 1960 classics with 25watt celestion greenbacks...
These amps have the classic Jimmy Page/Ritchie Blackmore type sound...if that makes sense....they do a nice crystalline semi-clean sound, so when you back the volume off on your guitar, you get the most insane clean sound.
All my guitars have treble bypass caps on the volume controls so you don't lose the treble as you decrease the volume on the guitar and the top end is sweet.....Yep, its all pretty old school....
Then there is my trusty Roland SRE555 which I have had since 1992.......
img0057bp.jpg

img0056up.jpg

img0055tm.jpg

img0054xb.jpg

img0053ei.jpg

Nice Magnatone. I had no idea they were still in business... or is it a new company that bought the name, like Mullard, Tung-Sol, etc.?

P1000928_zps0ff8b409.jpg

blackface Fender Vibro-Champ

P1000930_zpsa86c6292.jpg

Vox Pathfinder

P1000927_zpsc62825c2.jpg

P1000924_zpscd5d7045.jpg

Crazy Crate CR-160 with a Eminence Speaker and a Folded LINE Reverb Pan by OC Electronics "manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton Wisconsin under climate controlled atmosphere." The most uncool amp in this thread :)

This is the only one I am really proud to own. A Champ 5F1 clone.

DSCF8036Custom.jpg
(terible pic, I know)

DSCF8032Medium.jpg

DSCF8034Medium.jpg

Other than that I own a Fender Princeton Chorus, Epiphone something or other, a blow up Fender 85 (need to fix it) and the other somewhat cool one which I will take some pictures of later, a Crate 1B bass amp.

Rack-mounted amps...top to bottom:

Chandler Tube Driver (tube pre-amp, somewhat famous for being used by David Gilmour & Eric Johnson).

John Nau preamp, currently out of the rack to make room for an Intersound RV-100, which I'll post about soon).

Patch bay, giving me access to connection options & FX loops & such.

Main Pearce G1, so heavily modded that it doesn't really resemble a stock amp other than aesthetically & from the front. Favorite features include the semi-parametric midrange control before the gain/overdrive stage, and bass & treble controls after. Reverb controls are now controlling a parallel effects loop. Power amp section is from one of the Pearce bass amps, and is just an absurd amount of overkill (but makes the head useful for a small bass rig). Back side of the amp has no labeling at all, and has 10 jacks on it...you gotta be kinda familiar with it just to get it to work. :D

Alesis Quadraverb

Second Pearce G1, stock except internal reverb tank has been replaced with a parallel effects loop (besides the three original series effects loops, Ch1/Ch2/limiter out>power amp in).

Alesis Quadraverb

Hartke 3500

je

attachment.php

Attachments

• GitAmpRack (Large).JPG
    GitAmpRack (Large).JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 345
Extra-excellent vibratos in many Magnatone/Estey amps, and I love a few of their smaller class A amps.

je

Yes! The vibrato is legendary. It operates on a phase-in/phase-out principle instead of a wom wom wom volume thing like Fender.

My current amp based on a Fender 5F6-A Bassman circuit with modifications. Built it this last Christmas for myself.

RCA 5U4GB rectifier, RCA Blackplate 6L6s, Sylvania 12AX7s

Went with a mix of modified Jensen MODs and Eminence Legends

img6648j.jpg

img6657gk.jpg

img6677e.jpg

img6672tv.jpg

img6679nm.jpg

1983 Fender Super Champ. Picked it up at a yard sale for $10.00. Designed by Paul Rivera before he had his own company.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 330
My current amp based on a Fender 5F6-A Bassman circuit with modifications. Built it this last Christmas for myself.

That is too cool! The Tolex choice really sets it apart from the others, and the circuit design doesn't look too shabby either :thmbsp:
I hope you have a "Daphne Blue" color Strat or Tele to match...

That is too cool! The Tolex choice really sets it apart from the others, and the circuit design doesn't look too shabby either :thmbsp:
I hope you have a "Daphne Blue" color Strat or Tele to match...

I do indeed have a Daphne Blue strat :)

The tolex is actually boat Naugahyde. It's a bit thicker than tolex.

Here's my menagerie of little guys. Throw a couple of pedals in the mix and they have just the get up and go for a slide, twang bang'in rookie like myself ;)

Epiphone Valve Jr. v3
P3040284_zps097a96f2.jpg

Fender Excelsior for the basement.
P3040279_zpse36c45f2.jpg

Jay Graf (211Amps) modded SC Signet 33 and a Kustom 5H Defender.
P1160241_zps71551339.jpg

RC

RCA 5U4GB rectifier, RCA Blackplate 6L6s, Sylvania 12AX7s

Went with a mix of modified Jensen MODs and Eminence Legends

Beautiful! I'd love more details...
Did you start with a full or partial kit for the chassis, circuit board, and cabinet?
Interesting choice of caps... never saw those used in the signal path before. Why?
What transformers did you use?
What made you decide on the mix of speakers?
Most importantly... how's she sound?

My amps.
The JCM800 2203 I have had since 1984, its extensively modified by me. It runs KT88's and I have modified the gain/treble boost/and tone stack.
The Super Lead amp is from 1975 ( I bought it in 2000), I have turned it into a 2203 style master volume amp with the same mods as the JCM 800, its got a "creamier" sound than the JCM....
The cabinets are 1960 classics with 25watt celestion greenbacks...
These amps have the classic Jimmy Page/Ritchie Blackmore type sound...if that makes sense....they do a nice crystalline semi-clean sound, so when you back the volume off on your guitar, you get the most insane clean sound.
All my guitars have treble bypass caps on the volume controls so you don't lose the treble as you decrease the volume on the guitar and the top end is sweet.....Yep, its all pretty old school....
Then there is my trusty Roland SRE555 which I have had since 1992.......
img0057bp.jpg

img0056up.jpg

img0055tm.jpg

img0054xb.jpg

img0053ei.jpg

This gear (and a great player's hands) can be heard on the recordings in this thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288568

...specifically here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3753786&postcount=46

...and here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3801441&postcount=58

Excellent work, Kev...hope you're doing well.

je

Back
Top Bottom