1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Lets See All Them Axes

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Parnelly, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Desert Rat Subscriber

A few of my Fenders . . .

Reverse strung 1991 AS Strat; 1995 Fender Japan '67 reissue Strat; 2006 AS Tele

Amps: 1973 Traynor YGL3 all original Philips/Mullards. 2015 Vox AC15C1 TV

[​IMG]

DogsPart2, ooba tooba and cratz2 like this.
  2. amely

amely New Member

I knew few things about guitar but through this post, I got lots of information related to guitar.

Weeb, Cactus Bob and cratz2 like this.
  3. arts

arts Super Member

As a guy that grew up living and breathing Traynor (as both a tech and a player) I can attest that the YGL3 is an amplifier with few peers.Incredible tone,reliability,and with enough clean power to scare the s**t out of any Twin Reverb player. About the only thing comparable is the Ampeg VT-22. The only problem with them,other than carrying the darned things, is that the EL34's tend to rattle:rolleyes: I mean c'mon,who couldn't love an amp that uses an EL84 as the reverb driver tube:thumbsup:
    This is a rare bird,and you are very lucky to have one!

bolero and Cactus Bob like this.
  4. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Desert Rat Subscriber

Yes, if this beast drops on your toe it's all over! :eek:

It's a great sounding amp, beautiful reverb and power galore!! :)

5. ooba tooba

ooba tooba Super Member

My latest additions; 1990 Fender USA Jazz V Plus. Only made these until '94. Gotoh tuners, bridge, Kubicki preamp, lace sensors. Also I believe the first year for Pau Ferro as the fretboard. After 94 the had to find a different bridge source and they started calling them Deluxes. Great playing and sounding bass. Also grabbed an '83 Peavey Foundation with original hardware, knobs, and Super Ferrite pickups. I've read quite a lot of excellent reviews on these on Talkbass. They are made like a good solid Fender Jazz. Really fast small neck and hot pickups. Lots of sound variations. I love this 4 stringer in Aztec Gold, a rare Peavey color
    IMG_4482.JPG
    IMG_4487.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG

Cactus Bob and Weeb like this.
  6. ooba tooba

ooba tooba Super Member

7. elected to add 1 more electric to save wear on the R4.

G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy.

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob and bolero like this.
  8. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

That Traynor is sweet. I used to play bass through 2 4x12 cabs and my guitar player also used a 4x12. I understand they used to test the amps by dropping them off the top of the building?

ooba: stunning gold finish on your Peavey.

DogsPart2: glad to see another G&L fan here. Your image is not showing up but would love to see your BB Classic. I had BB #1 for a while but it's now back with Tim formerly of Buffalo Brothers, who was the instigator for the Blues Boy model.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  9. louisjames

Sweet 'burst' on your BB. Looks great against the maple neck. Here's a close-up pic of BB#1. Great back story on this one too. The top wood had been sitting in Leo's office since before his death. Dale Hyatt (one of the key original Fender guys along with George Fullerton) had been urging Leo to put quilted and flamed tops on the G&L's. Leo pushed back as he was firmly against gluing a top cap to the body wood so it just sat there until the day the plant manager who was helping Tim spec out the Blues Boy said -- hey there's this great piece of wood sitting in Leo's office how about... Of course under BBE G&L offers a range of tops and finishes, but back in the day it was a bit different.

[​IMG]

DogsPart2 and bolero like this.
  10. Weeb

Weeb Member

Just beautiful! Holy mackerel!

11. BigElCat

BigElCat has a mouse for an Avatar ? Subscriber

Give an Axeman a shovel, and...

12. Weeb

Weeb Member

Join in the fun!

13. Weeb

Weeb Member

14. bolero

bolero Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of G&L's, good to see some of them here!

Also Heritage guitars...here are a Millenium Eagle and an H150

[​IMG]

15. highwaychild

highwaychild Well-Known Member

My newest additions:

Fender Blues Deville 4x10 Reissue:

[​IMG]

And a Sigma 000R-42:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    bolero likes this.
  16. louisjames

Nice to see another Heritage fan too. Like G&L, who also had a couple of bad times quality-wise, they are guitars built by the "originals" yet mostly ignored by players. Take a Heritage LP -- built by the real Gibson guys in the old plant and every bit as good as, if not better than a Gibson. Whose Q/A has been all over the place. Even on Custom Shop models. And yet, put the two side by side and most players will go for the "brand name." That's the reason I got into G&L's in the first place. A guy came into the music store I worked at with a brand new, beautiful L1K bass. He had bought it for his kid who was insulted that it wasn't a Fender. At that time Fender was still having problems with their neck pockets and other issues, but they had the name. So we took the G&L in trade and he went home with a standard P-bass. A good bass but the G&L was a much better playing and sounding instrument. That L1K, which I still have, eventually became part of a 100+ collection but that is a different story for another time. Now I'm back to just two. The bass and an early ASAT which I will never part with. Here's a few of that "hoard," now all gone other than the L1K (top row, middle) and ASAT (bottom row, middle)

[​IMG]

bolero likes this.
  17. Weeb

Weeb Member

I was hoping to see some Rickenbacker guitars shown. They have such a sweet, unique sound and are firmly entrenched in modern rock, especially British. I recently became once again enthralled with the 60s hit "You Were On My Mind" by We Five, and the Rickenbacker is so characteristic and important in the song. I know - I'm showing my age. The cute San Franciscan singer in her little white Go-Go boots captivated me further. Check it out on YouTube. They were known for their excellent harmonies. A great song from a great time in America.

bolero likes this.
  18. bolero

bolero Well-Known Member

nice!! great story too

is that the #1 buffalo bros bluesboy, on the bottom left?

19. louisjames

Yes, that's the one. I have a bunch of pics that one of the owners (the guitar passed through 6 owners which is yet another story for another time) which show it to good effect. What you can't see in either the closeup or the thumb is the triple binding and the gun-oil tinted, birds eye neck. Btw, the GBL forum is a great place for all things G&L and the gallery there has an amazing archive of Leo and BBE-era, production, prototype and one-off guitars and basses. Nice group of peeps too. Here's one other I found while cleaning up my computer. Wildly birds eye'd ASAT in Fullerton red. This is another one I wish I still had as it played and sounded really great. But it went to a good friend who has made good use of it so all good.

[​IMG]

bolero likes this.
  20. bolero

bolero Well-Known Member

aha, found a pic of my G&L's.....along with a cousin ;)

[​IMG]

louisjames likes this.