Lets See All Them Axes

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Parnelly, Nov 16, 2008.

1. James Hart

James Hart Webguy :: Bassist

mine is a conservatively wound large magnet Tele pickup... little more like a P90. More raw than twang :)

When I got it, it had a Holdsworth Carvin pickup in it... a little to polite for me. I gave the pickup back to the seller (I bought my little Egnater head from him too)
    [​IMG]

cratz2, 55Redneck and boza like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sounds great, a very versatile guitar. Unfortunately I am selling due to my advancing arthritis.

3. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

That is unfortunate my brother. Nuthin' funks up geetarin' like hand/forearm pain. Heck, even nagging shoulder pain can put a crimp in things. Maybe switching to a new style, e.g., laptop slide, could offer some relief?

cratz2 likes this.
  4. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

Sorry to hear that. It's one of the reasons I switched from dreads to OM / OOO acoustics.

cratz2 likes this.
  5. Mystic

Just curious: I'm assuming this is in reference to the "string-picking" hand, yes? If yes, how did the switch from the dreads to OOM / OOO effect an improvement in digital gesticulation(s)? IIRC (it's been quite a few years since I last owned & operated a Martin "O" family geetar, a OO-18 and/or Martic "D" type, a D-28) the scales & nut widths are not so very dis-similar from the dreads, so what is it about the makes the difference?

6. Mystic

^^ Having thought about it a bit, I recall that while the OM and OOO, to the best of my recollection, have a slightly wider nut than the dred, the overall action of the "finger-picking" geetars is "softer" than that @ a dred. Is this what makes the difference w/ repect to playability w/ the arthritis?

7. Actually, I switched to a Fender Thin Telecaster and the neck 9.5" radius seems to help. Never say never!

[​IMG]

Not sure what I am going to do with the G&L. Maybe just thin the herd or just keep her cause she is so pretty.....likes to sleep with my Tele too!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    James Hart and boza like this.
  8. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

It's actually both hands and also depends if you are sitting or standing.The main difference is a dread is bigger all around (particularly a square shoulder) whereas an OM/000, which I favor over an 00 size, tucks into the body and let's you assume a more comfortable hand position for both the fretting and picking hand. Now if I had stuck with classical, used a foot stand and had good posture some of this would be a non-issue. And yes, most guitars these days are 1 3/4 instead of the old 1 11/16th and the scale length is still 24.75 or 25.4. The main difference for me is the width of the lower bout and the depth of a dread versus the small body guitars.

That said, my Greven has a 17-inch lower bout but the depth of an OM so you don't have the same feeling of a playing a big guitar. Finally, you have to consider slope versus square shoulder. For me a slope shoulder and a short, Gibson scale will always be more comfortable, easier to play and less strain overall. It's also what I grew up playing and what I favor. Martin scale guitars have always been more of a handful, no pun intended, although I do love how they sound. The upshot of all this? Even though I just got a Martin CEO-7 which is really sweet, I'm still going to look for a vintage J45 / 50. A bit nuts but I'm a sucker for the Gibson sound and how a slope dread feels in the hands. Even if the hands don't work quite the way I want them to any longer.

9. Mystic

Gosh, I'd completely forgotten about the differences @ lower bout configurations as I still, in spite of right (and left FTM) shoulder "issues" (scarred/stiff rotator cuff) get along very well w/ my 'ol '40s Gibson J-45 dred, but now that I read your reply, recall the relative "ease of access to the strings" with the various Martin "O Family" geetars I've owned in the past, a OO-18 ('early '60s model) in particular.
    Thanks for the thoughtfully informative reply LJ.

10. Mystic

That's the spirit man! Which is the G&L - the blond(e) or the 'burst? I can never tell 'em (G&L v. Fender) apart when the Tele body (only) is depicted. In either case both are purdy to look at and doubtless sound good. And anyone who sez Teles ain't Teles sans front "traditional single coil Tele PUP" hasn't had a good listen to The Stones geetarist, 'ol Keith Whatsizname , have they?

Hendrix claims to have slept w/ a geetar, usually Stratocaster 'cuz his V's were simly too wide, every night from circa '65 until, well, the year he died. IIRC the interview @ which he said this was taken down in 1970 (don't recall the month), so indeed near the end of his time here.

DogsPart2 likes this.
  11. The G&L is tobacco burst, Fender white blond.

12. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I'm mostly a bolt on/single coil strat type guy but I guess I'd been getting my rock on lately. The last three guitars I've bought have all been dual HB, neck thru metal-ish guitars

One is a hardtail Ibanez with a Duncan Distortion and a 59 in the neck and one is an LTD with a Floyd that I'll be putting an Air Zone and an Air Norton into over the weekend. The other one is one of those FMT Teles but with a sparkle top rather than any flamed maple.

I'll post some pics soon.

13. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

Picked up this 10 or so YO Squire Strat cheap at a radio show Friday,,, Just wanted a project to fool with,,, Disassembled and cleaned it a bit, replaced most of the rusty screws... Waiting for strings, set intonation and see how it sounds!
    1st pic as found,, 2nd-3rd cleaned up, reassembled...

Attached Files:

boza likes this.
  14. Rockon1

Rockon1 Well-Known Member

The RI Artist looks sweet. Had two 1979 Artists like that one. One had active electronics and the other passive. I loved the quality of those axes. Weighted a ton but beautifully crafted. I sort of regret selling them but like a bunch of other fine guitars I had I didnt play them. Hopefully they ended up with some one who does.

15. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Active Member

Since my previous post's links are dead, here's mine again:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Honeyburst

[​IMG]

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony

[​IMG]

16. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice! Epi makes great instruments.

Stillhouse likes this.

17. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

18. CZ4A

CZ4A Active Member

19. Bosphrous

Bosphrous Active Member

1994 Washburn MG-821 flametop burgundy w/ Carvin black brass knobs P1240059.JPG 1993 G&L ASAT Special. #2 neck. P2150024.JPG

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    louisjames, boza and James Hart like this.
  20. Bosphrous

Bosphrous Active Member

An ASAT with a Bigsby? Was that installed by G&L?