Let's see your cans!

Pair of vintage nova pro headphones, on my beambag chair, listening to the cure reading 1950s pulp magazines

Attachments

• 20161020_211851.jpg
    20161020_211851.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 27
IMG_1705.JPG Using the Marshalls for now.
My vintage AKG's bit the dust.
The Marshalls have a really decent sound to them, but not too sure about the longevity of the plastic at the length adjustment area.

I've just got a pair of JVC HA RX700 for use at home.
image.jpg image.jpg

They sound pretty good.

I have the sennheiser px90 for mobile use
image.jpg

I also have a pair of these
image.jpg

Ministry of sound mos006 that have surprised me a lot. There very easy to listen to and well made

Last edited:
IMG_5988.JPG

New king of the heap. AKG K240 Sextett (late production).

My newer AKG's do detail better but I'll be damned if these don't just sound better. It's amazing considering how old they are.

Lowly AKG K44s that were $4 at Goodwill:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. Most comfortable full size phones EVER!

MB Quart Phone 30s. My newest acquisition and the oldest headphones I have:

And some AKG K52s I bought recently at Guitar Center on sale for $30. Not bad for $30!

IMG_0130_zpstsy7uxnq.jpg

Santa brought me these today. Audio Technica ATH-m70x. I am quite impressed with the sound quality.

darkvoice6.jpg I haven't been on here is a long time.. but whatever Got this DV336SE for xmas / currently running with RCA 6AS7G and RCA 6SN7GT tubes pictured with DT880's

* actually in the picture it is a GE 6AS7GA in back..but whatever.

I picked these up yesterday for super cheap. V-Moda LPs. The original, not the version 2s.

Definitely bass heavy and overall sound quality isn't up to $100+ headphone standards in my opinion, but man do they have the bass. Not in a way that the rest of the spectrum sounds lacking... more in the way a good, balanced system would sound if you added a couple 18" subs and set their levels too high. And they seem to go really low. Definitely lower than AKG Q701s or ATH-M50s.

I've only used them a bit, but I think they might become my favorite headphones for exciting movies.

I think I also forgot to post these. Ultrasone 550 Pros.

Definitely not the last word in resolution or overall sound quality, but not really terrible in any one area. Ultrasones are known to be pretty bass heavy but I wouldn't describe these as such. They aren't bass-light, but they are relatively balanced.

From reading some reviews of headphones that I own, I'm all but convinced that many of those folks are comparing to 'bass only' models like some of the lesser Beats. For example, the ATH-M50s and the Ultrasone model just above your post have, what I would call, very solid bottom end yet some comments would lead you to believe both models are lacking. They each have their shortcomings, but inadequate bottom end surely isn't one of them.

Recently got these Shure SRH1840's for 33% off retail price. Was worried the lower end would be lacking after some reviews but I find them very full, very happy.

From reading some reviews of headphones that I own, I'm all but convinced that many of those folks are comparing to 'bass only' models like some of the lesser Beats. For example, the ATH-M50s and the Ultrasone model just above your post have, what I would call, very solid bottom end yet some comments would lead you to believe both models are lacking. They each have their shortcomings, but inadequate bottom end surely isn't one of them.

Beats have a lot to answer for!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if even us audiophiles are conditioned to expect an artificial representation of bass when we're listening.

Listening to a few tunes while whatserface puts her makeup on for the party we're going to. Below are two of my partially restored K240s. Monitor and Sextett LP. I say partially restored because only the pads and the elastic suspension are new. I'm not confident enough yet at undoing the solder joints in order to take apart the cups, clean out the original dampening crude, and replace it with something more time-resistant like felt. I'm 29. I could have these for a long time. The amp is a Little Bear P1 aka Indeed G2 hybrid tube buffer and mosfet amp. It's an objectively terrible amp. The stock Chinese tube was noisy and I replaced it with some no-name Russian 12AU7. The volume knob is poorly ground so adjusting it sounds like tearing paper. Next to my main amp from Headroom this thing is pretty crumb bum. It has a shit load of power though and enough voltage for 600 ohm phones.
IMG_6274.JPG

My Sextett after partial restoration.
IMG_6194.JPG

My girlfriend's fathers AKG K140 after the same partial restoration
IMG_6192.JPG

Pro tip with the older K140s, headband and headband parts are almost exactly the same as the K240. K240 parts and elastic suspension can be used on K140s. K140s sound decent enough that they aren't worthy of the trash heap just yet, with a warm midrange and surprisingly okay base for a mid-70s design.

Back
Top Bottom