48.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_2727.jpg
    100_2727.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_2709.jpg
    100_2709.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
What kind of speakers did Fisher put in the console? Do you know if they fitted any of their XP Heritage line?

The speakers are FISHER BUILT in the New Jersey plant or Pennsylvania plant (I'm having a brain fart right now). Definately not Jensen's. As far as the XP line don't know.

Larry

Console speakers

Several years ago, I bought a seven-foot long console in a Goodwill, and it contained a really low-grade Garrard TT, which I gave to my GW audio advisor, a truly mint 500-C (which had its four 7591As stolen by some lowlife) and speakers which featured Jensen drivers. The rest of the console had a record storage area and a mirror-lined drinks cabinet. Definitely cool, but far too long to fit into my Land Rover and my wife would have none of it. No consoles, thank you very much.

So I removed the 500-C and left the console for the Goodwill people do with it as they saw fit. That hurt, but I had absolutely no alternative.

About the same time, I lost out on an eBay console auction which boasted a McIntosh array of a C-22, an MC240 and an MR71. The speakers were Bozak B302As. I lost by $100. Could have screamed.

It would be neat to know if you have XP-4As in the console.

It would be neat to know if you have XP-4As in the console.

not XP-4A's. 2 12" woofers 4 5" mids, and 2 3" tweeters total. The cabinet lower 1/2 is split into 2 sub sections forthe speakers by a sheet of braced 3/4" plywood. The back is screwed on and has a gasket so it's fairly tight except for the access holes for the wiring. It's a little flabby as far as bass goes, but for a console this one sounds pretty good. With different speakers it would probably sound a bit better . But I'm not changing anything, just for historical accuracy. I can always go with external speakers if needed.

Larry

The XP line during the 1960's often employed a 12" woofer and a 5" midrange. The 3" tweeter throws me a little because the XP models, I believe, had different sized ones, especially the fried egg soft dome version. The XP7 had a 12" woofer, two 5" mids and one soft dome tweeter.

I have XP 5s, 9s (well, my daughter has them now), and 15s and they all have what I would call warm, expansive but not precise bass. The backs of the XP15s are screwed on extremely tightly and with great exactness so the seal truly works.

Your console probably sounds pretty darned good.

Hello, 72 year old newcomer here. I just acquired this Fisher C-810 Contemporary II console this week. It was in full working condition but I have already pulled the chassis and started the refurb.

fisherc8101.jpg

fisherc8102.jpg

Larry

Welcome longle.

We're glad to meet you.
How very contemporary of you to be 72 and still be a newcomer.

Sweet Contemporary Larry. The cabinet looks in especially good shape. Manuals are on www.fisherconsoles.com. Scroll around to the '58 or '59 Contemporary. '58 will have a R-20 chassis and the 59 a R-30-S chassis. Both have the RC-121. Good changer, and easy to service. An owners manual/booklet for the R-121 is @ www.vinylengine.com. Free registration. A lot of the earlier Garrards had the same running gear so find one that looks like the 121 and pull the service manual (not too many there for garrards tho). Just use it as a guide for general cleaning and lube.

Welcome to the Fisher Fanatics!
Larry

My favorite piece.

Fisher 50b FM tuner from 1961 (fully restored).

Listen to the local jazz FM station (WDCB 90.9) on it just about every day.

fisher_50b.jpg

Cheers, Snade

Nice tuner. I have the same model which I restored. How did you get the dial lights replaced? Do you know of the whereabouts of a schematic for this model?

Fm-1000

How's this piece of FM equipment? It plays as well as it looks - and both meters work as they should. I even found a Fisher-branded Nuvistor for it. In fact, all the tubes are Fisher-branded.

Attachments

• FM-1000c.jpg
    FM-1000c.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 55
Wow, insn't this a nice piece to put in the living room! Not in the cabinet... on top of it!

What could be nicer and could sound warmer then these pieces of gear!

I have a 202T waiting for me for a few years now and have a hard time waiting to get this piece going.

But unfortunately I have a brown with gold cap button broken (a chip of brown plastic is gone). Anybody know where I can find one?

This 1000 is reeeaaally nice!!!

Here ya go

Attachments

• IMAG0001 (2).jpg
    IMAG0001 (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 61
That's a nice 500C. Dig the 75 Watts sticker. Mine still has that, but it's not stuck on the dial glass. I found it stuck inside the wood case.

The friend of an elderly neighbor passed away and the neighbor knew that I was into "old stereos." They were clearing out the friend's house, since there was no surviving family, and the neighbor called me. If there was anything that I liked, the neighbor and another friend encouraged me to take it away.

When I arrived, I was surprised to find a 500c, an Electro-voice "The Aristocrat" speaker, along with a Technics cassette deck, all of which are now in my possession. The Technics deck is OK but the 500c and the EV speaker are astonishing.

The 500c plays and is in excellent physical shape. It needs a refurb, a kit of which arrived in the mail yesterday. The wood case is in decent shape and has a vent style that I have never seen before on a Fisher. I previously never had any interest in Fisher gear so this is somewhat new territory.

It is sad that the friend passed away but his stereo gear went to someone who knew what it was and could appreciate it, which gave some comfort to his surviving friends.

-Paul

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Power Tubes.JPG
    Power Tubes.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Tubes Top.JPG