Let's see your Fisher gear!

Cool, Nate is showing my future amp!!!:thmbsp:

No SA-100s in this thread yet...

Problem fixed! :)

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

attachment.php

Well, it does say "Fisher" on it... :D I have one of these where I installed an AM synchronous detector circuit in, and widened the AM IF passband.

Attachments

• ssfisher.jpg
    ssfisher.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 762
500-B Receiver

I bought this from the original owner back in 1990, when I was still in college. It was my main stereo system until the power switch went bad. I recently found a guy on eBay selling replacement switches and tune-up kits. I went through bias and B+ supply and also added the 10-ohm resistors on the power output tubes to protect against shorts. I also put a couple of reproduction caps on the Treble and Balance controls, and a reproduction gold grille. The cabinet is original, spruced up with some Olde English furniture polish. Sounds sweet through my 1990-vintage Klipsh kg1's...I had forgotten how much I love that tube sound in audio.

Attachments

• Fisher 500-B Receiver.jpg
    Fisher 500-B Receiver.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 132
Thanks, this is a cool forum!

I think my 500-B is a little unusual. The output tubes are located in front of the output transformers, as opposed to being at the rear like most I have seen in photos.

That's an older 500-B. Fisher figured out relatively early that the tubes need air to cool. That doesn't mean anything other than that yours is possibly more valuable. I have a Scott 340 with the same output tube and transformer layout.

Last edited:
Yeah, my first thought was that they swapped the tube/transformer locations to improve cooling. It also improves serviceability I would think. However mine works just fine and I have no problems servicing it.

Is there a thread here for parts discussion?

Yeah, my first thought was that they swapped the tube/transformer locations to improve cooling. It also improves serviceability I would think. However mine works just fine and I have no problems servicing it.

Is there a thread here for parts discussion?

What kind of parts? There are plenty of Fisher heads that would be happy to talk with you about the parts.

Well, at the moment I'm looking for Fisher 500-B knobs. I would be interested in a good used Treble and a good used Balance that both have the original brass caps. At the moment, I have had to install some reproduction brass caps that don't exactly match the original caps. The reproductions do look good, but they simply are not correct and stand out a bit from the other knobs.

As an alternative, I would also be interested in a full set of 500-B knobs that are already missing their brass caps, as long as the plastic is in good shape. What I could then do is make a full set up 500-B knobs with reproduction caps, without ruining any original caps in the process. I definitely do not want to ruin the originality of any of the genuine knobs that still have their caps.

Attachments

• Fisher 500-B Treble knob - new cap.jpg
    Fisher 500-B Treble knob - new cap.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Fisher 500-B Balance knob - new cap.jpg
    Fisher 500-B Balance knob - new cap.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 27
  • Fisher 500-B Volume knob - original cap.jpg
    Fisher 500-B Volume knob - original cap.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30
Family photo

Here is my Fisher Family photo.Both could use a good face washing,but I don't want to lose any lettering or scratch anything so I am reluctant...:yes:

Attachments

• GEDC0001n.jpg
    GEDC0001n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 98
  • GEDC0012a.jpg
    GEDC0012a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Well, at the moment I'm looking for Fisher 500-B knobs. I would be interested in a good used Treble and a good used Balance that both have the original brass caps. At the moment, I have had to install some reproduction brass caps that don't exactly match the original caps. The reproductions do look good, but they simply are not correct and stand out a bit from the other knobs.

As an alternative, I would also be interested in a full set of 500-B knobs that are already missing their brass caps, as long as the plastic is in good shape. What I could then do is make a full set up 500-B knobs with reproduction caps, without ruining any original caps in the process. I definitely do not want to ruin the originality of any of the genuine knobs that still have their caps.

Finding knobs is going to be tough. I had a few fishers with the same knobs. One was missing a few brass brights. I made a set of all originals and mounted them to the best knobs I had and polished and cleared them. I then got a full set of "new" ones and put them on the other set. With the replacements, you have to do all of them to match. John

New to me seperates

These where in a console, and are quite lovely to me as they are my first Fishers!

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 131
Finding knobs is going to be tough. I had a few fishers with the same knobs. One was missing a few brass brights. I made a set of all originals and mounted them to the best knobs I had and polished and cleared them. I then got a full set of "new" ones and put them on the other set. With the replacements, you have to do all of them to match. John

Knobs are readily available on eBay. Full sets usually go for around $50 or so.

I've got my Saved Search all set up on eBay...I think it's going to take awhile for the right knobs to pop up. I had a guy in Hong Kong supposedly sending me the right knobs for a 500-B but they turned out to be 500-C parts. I re-Bay'd them and got most of my money out of the deal, less shipping.

Does anyone know much about the history / origins of the Fisher knobs? I see on the back of the plastic parts it says "West Germany". I wonder what company originally made the parts, and if by chance they still have the original tooling for the molds and the bright brass parts? I work for a Germany company myself and I know they rarely throw anything away, especially expensive tooling.

I've got my Saved Search all set up on eBay...I think it's going to take awhile for the right knobs to pop up. I had a guy in Hong Kong supposedly sending me the right knobs for a 500-B but they turned out to be 500-C parts. I re-Bay'd them and got most of my money out of the deal, less shipping.

Does anyone know much about the history / origins of the Fisher knobs? I see on the back of the plastic parts it says "West Germany". I wonder what company originally made the parts, and if by chance they still have the original tooling for the molds and the bright brass parts? I work for a Germany company myself and I know they rarely throw anything away, especially expensive tooling.

It would be a good idea to start a seperate thread concerning the knobs. I'm sure you would get more response with a new post. I had no idea that knobs were made in Germany. I know many of the caps and tubes were German.

I have to get my new 400 in on the fun. So here it is, all cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom