Let's See Your Great JVC Gear!

My JVC RX701V. I use this daily with a pair of BIC DV62si speakers in my office. It's also my primary music listening receiver. Of all the gear I own, this receiver is my favorite. It has incredibly clean sound, great stereo imaging and lots of power. Headphone output is also excellent. I love the versatility this unit offers. It's also "new" enough to not require a re-cap yet.

I got this for $45 on Craigslist last year and I've used it daily since. Also scored an original remote via eBay in good shape. I love the fact however that you can do everything from the controls on the front of the unit; nothing requires the remote.

I know we're mostly into older 80s and 70s gear here, but this JVC makes me happy. It's great to listen to and really demonstrates how much better stuff was made back then, back when they really cared about build and sound quality.

tTQ4IFe.jpg

mTvMrFR.jpg

I think this was about the last JVC stuff made in Japan, right? It is Super-A, so I bet it sounds great!

I got this on Kiji about a month ago for $40 and it works perfectly. A JR-S81H @35 wpc, the only one I've ever seen. It needed a good cleaning inside and out and I did replace the fuse lamps that were burnt but couldn't find blue so I went with clear.

JVC JR-S81H (134).JPG JVC JR-S81H (133).JPG JVC JR-S81H (135).JPG JVC JR-S81H (116).JPG

Last edited:
That's a nice looking receiver. If you want blue, you can paint them with a blue paint that they sell at Michael's and I'm sure other craft stores. I can't remember what it is called, but it is meant for glass and can take the heat. I don't see my bottle here either. I think it was this stuff.. http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting-on-Glass/Vitrail Put it on thin because if you put it on thick it will dim the light too much. I baked mine in the oven. BTW, I did this for my car radio.

EDIT: This is the stuff I used: http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting-on-Glass/Vitrea-160

Last edited:
I think this was about the last JVC stuff made in Japan, right? It is Super-A, so I bet it sounds great!
I believe you are correct.. maybe somewhere into the mid 90s?
And the sound is superb. Love the Super-A stuff. JVC gear, in my humble opinion, was very underrated.

That's a nice looking receiver. If you want blue, you can paint them with a blue paint that they sell at Michael's and I'm sure other craft stores. I can't remember what it is called, but it is meant for glass and can take the heat. I don't see my bottle here either. I think it was this stuff.. http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting-on-Glass/Vitrail Put it on thin because if you put it on thick it will dim the light too much. I baked mine in the oven. BTW, I did this for my car radio.

EDIT: This is the stuff I used: http://en.pebeo.com/Creative-leisure/Painting-on-Glass/Vitrea-160
That's awesome! Thanks red!

My JVC RX701V. I use this daily with a pair of BIC DV62si speakers in my office. It's also my primary music listening receiver. Of all the gear I own, this receiver is my favorite. It has incredibly clean sound, great stereo imaging and lots of power. Headphone output is also excellent. I love the versatility this unit offers. It's also "new" enough to not require a re-cap yet.

I got this for $45 on Craigslist last year and I've used it daily since. Also scored an original remote via eBay in good shape. I love the fact however that you can do everything from the controls on the front of the unit; nothing requires the remote.

I know we're mostly into older 80s and 70s gear here, but this JVC makes me happy. It's great to listen to and really demonstrates how much better stuff was made back then, back when they really cared about build and sound quality.

tTQ4IFe.jpg

mTvMrFR.jpg
That is a gorgeous receiver! Looks mint and a hell of a deal!

I got this on Kiji about a month ago for $40 and it works perfectly. A JR-S81H @35 wpc, the only one I've ever seen. It needed a good cleaning inside and out and I did replace the fuse lamps that were burnt but couldn't find blue so I went with clear.

View attachment 756677 View attachment 756678 View attachment 756679 View attachment 756683
Sweet! Looks immaculate too! Here's a link for the service manual if need it.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/jvc/jr-s81.shtml

Glenn

That's awesome! Thanks red!
No problem. If I had to replace the bulbs in my car radio again, I would thin this stuff out with something (paint thinner?). It would evaporate before you bake the bulbs. The bulbs I baked were the ones with leads out the end. If the fuse lamps have the ends soldered, that may be a problem. Which brings up another idea. Maybe you could carefully take the ends off the colored fuse lamp and stuff it with those lamps that are for meters. I have seen fuse lamps that are constructed this way. (Look at this one carefully... http://www.parts-express.com/12-vol...antz-sansui-kenwood-yamaha-sony-and---070-123).
Here's a couple of those meter lamps... http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Indicator/0000001069.

Reviving this long running thread. I'm currently running an RX-903V receiver I picked up last year, powering an XL-700M I picked up for $15 just because it looked interesting. I'm not crazy about CD changers, but this one has a single tray, a metal face, and weighs a ton. In sounds really, really smooth. Probably not the last word in detail, and i probably have better laying around here, but you won't get tired of listening to it. Plus, I love it when my stuff matches.

I love the 903V from the looks department, and it sounds great. Heavy, clean looking metal face, 7-band SEA EQ, and a solid drop down door. My only gripe with it is you have to open the door and just about use a microscope to switch sources or do any tweaking. The buttons are annoyingly small.

I can't find the actual manual, but an advertisement claims 100 WPC at like 0.007% thd. The WPC rating seems EXTREMELY conservative since this pulls 690 watts out of the wall (slightly more than the more ballihooed Pioneer D1S rated at 130 WPC and bench tested at like 170). The same source cited 120 WPC for the 803V, which seems to be a rung below and also pulls over 200 less watts. I think the ratings in those advertisements might be erroneously swapped.

The 1010V is still my holy grail JVC receiver (and I just missed a cheap one on ebay), but this is just fine
20170316_181247.jpg 20170316_181258.jpg 20170316_181231.jpg

My only gripe with it is you have to open the door and just about use a microscope to switch sources or do any tweaking. The buttons are annoyingly small.
LOL. They probably were fine in our younger days. Hell, I can't see shit anymore. Stereo controls, text on CDs, liner notes, remote controls, etc.

:)JVC gets no respect! I think we say that about a lot of older stuff, then later quietly recant until at least one other person seems to say the same thing!!

I picked up an ebay listing which needs some under the hood work, but this turntable is for my main system after a little troubleshooting. The pic is off the web because I don't want to put it all together to take a pic to then take it apart :) Its a JVC QL-Y5F from around 85

48329133_614.jpg

I'm not sure about the tuner... love how clean it looks and that "a few years before its prime" digital tuning, but it's just not much better a puller than the reciever, dialing a non-preset is much slower than using a knob, and it requires an annoying stripped-wire 75-ohm connector.

20170319_225240.jpg

Turntable: L-L1
Reciever JR-S300 (I have a 301 in storage, but I like the materials better on the 300-- the buttons and slides on the x01 units are shamelessly plated plastic instead of all metal)
Tuner T-40PR (no remote, which from what I can tell was 60% of the price of the unit)

Back
Top Bottom